GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 2000 miles on my new brake pads and they squeek when useing the brakes . Front and back ! They are honda pads ! Any help on how to fix ? ( OTHER THAN NOT USING THEM ! ) :?:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a 2002 1800 that I bought new. The brake pads had a little squeel the day I drove it home from the dealership. I soon noticed that most of the 1800's had some brake pad noise or squeel.
When I had new brake pads put on this spring, I opted for the Honda pads. If you check the thickness, the Honda pads are thicker than most of the aftermarket pads. Well, the "new" Honda pads squeel too. I think that's just the way they are.
When I was concerned about the "ticking" noise from under the valve covers when I got my bike, a "long time" winger told me to put my helmet on, turn on the radio, and I wouldn't hear the ticking. Guess maybe that might work for the brake pad noise, too. lol
Ride safe, Stobby.

·
Registered
28 Posts
had an old harley mechanic told me to put comet or ajax on the pads and rotor supose to score up stuff and make them quit with the noise

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
sqeelin like a pig

sdvtx1300 said:
had an old harley mechanic told me to put comet or ajax on the pads and rotor supose to score up stuff and make them quit with the noise
I think that ole home remedy could work, typically that kind of noise is from the pads/rotors being glazed. Or you could just use an aerosol product like Brake Quiet.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My 05 started squeeling at about 9000 km. Made an appointment with the dealer for an oil change and also to clean up the brakes. By the time I got there the brakes were once again quite so I didn't have them look at them.
Honda Mechanic told me that the pads will tend to glaze up under normal braking and if they start to squeel, to get a little speed behind you and Hammer on the brakes. (in a straight line of couse) Did this a few times and it cleared up. His other suggestion was that you can buff the pads with sand paper.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My brakes squeel after a few days between water washes. I hose them good when I wash and they are good to go! Honda pads!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Sometimes a squeal is produced between the brake pads and the rotor due to worn or glazed pads and rotors.
Usually the backside of brake pads vibrating against the caliper causes the squeal. The cure is to spray Disc Brake Quite on the back of the brake pads. This should be done when installing new pads. Used pads that squeal can be removed from the caliper and cleaned and treated with Disc Break Quite.
Available from NAPA and other auto parts stores for about $8.00 a can.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Like tvbveb said. I had a significant squeal from the front. Tried new pads even though I had more than 50% thickness left. New ones starting squeaking within 1000 miles. Used Brake Quiet spray and still good after 25,000 miles

·
Registered
922 Posts
Mine do it to, I suspect it is glazing, when I brake hard like in the erc course, the brakes sound and feel funny after, kinda like something was scraped off.

On a side note , Abbbots town pa has a great German resturant called the Hoffbrau Haus, i always try to hit it when going through that area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts