GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 DCT 13000 miles

Got home from a 8000 mile trip....

Has anyone experienced squishy rear brakes? I find myself really pushing down with my toes on the rear brake lever....

I also noticed that on some gravel during my trip the bike locked up the brakes...the ABS did not kick in...How does one check the working of the ABS?

Has anyone replaced their rear brakes at 13000 miles? (9000 miles pulling a trailer...7000 miles in the twisties pulling trailer)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Holy cow!! between your wobble, soft brake pedal and potential abs issue I'd bring that all to the dealership for warrantee service. Otherwise, I wonder if air got in the system.

·
Registered
411 Posts
On the ABS, if you are going slow it does not kick in. So if you were coming to a stop on gravel and it slid during the last part just as you were stopping that is normal. All ABS does that.

I don't know what Honda's number is but Kawasakis is 8 mph or less and it does not engage.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
page 13

Combined ABS

Your motorcycle is equipped with a brake system that distributes the braking force between the front and rear brakes.

The distribution of the braking force is applied to both front and rear brakes when operating the lever and/or pedal.

For full braking effectiveness, operate both the front and rear brakes together.

The brake feel changes according to the selected riding mode.
2P. 118

This model is also equipped with an Antilock Brake System (ABS) designed to help prevent the brakes from locking up during hard braking.
● ABS does not reduce braking distance. Incertain circumstances, ABS may result in a longer stopping distance.
ABS does not function at speeds below 3 mph (5 km/h).
● The brake lever and pedal may recoil slightly when applying the brakes. This is normal.
● Always use the recommended tires to ensure correct ABS operation.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Rear brake seems soft to me. But sometimes firms up,, very strange. I use the brakes like always. Most braking done with front, rear used to balance braking force for what i want to achieve. ABS does work at speed have made it give me the feedback buzz more than I would like.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
On the ABS, if you are going slow it does not kick in. So if you were coming to a stop on gravel and it slid during the last part just as you were stopping that is normal. All ABS does that.

I don't know what Honda's number is but Kawasakis is 8 mph or less and it does not engage.
I just learned something here................Thank you!

Ronnie

·
Registered
283 Posts
page 13

Combined ABS

Your motorcycle is equipped with a brake system that distributes the braking force between the front and rear brakes.

The distribution of the braking force is applied to both front and rear brakes when operating the lever and/or pedal.

For full braking effectiveness, operate both the front and rear brakes together.

The brake feel changes according to the selected riding mode.
2P. 118

This model is also equipped with an Antilock Brake System (ABS) designed to help prevent the brakes from locking up during hard braking.
● ABS does not reduce braking distance. Incertain circumstances, ABS may result in a longer stopping distance.
ABS does not function at speeds below 3 mph (5 km/h).
● The brake lever and pedal may recoil slightly when applying the brakes. This is normal.
● Always use the recommended tires to ensure correct ABS operation.

According to your statement, my rear tire should stop turning while on center stand when I apply the brake lever. I was curious about that shortly after I bought it. Tested it one day and found out that my rear tire does not stop turning like I thought it would. Only the brake pedal force is applied to both tires on my bike. Anyone else ever notice this as well?

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I would get the brakes bleed as you may have air is the lines. If this has been going on since day one the dealer should do it under warranty.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
My brake peddle was soft or low until I bled the brakes. Now its like Bob Seger says; "way up firm and high". ;-)

prs

Reactions: Bullet Bob

·
Vendor
17,780 Posts
2018 DCT 13000 miles

Has anyone experienced squishy rear brakes? I find myself really pushing down with my toes on the rear brake lever....

I also noticed that on some gravel during my trip the bike locked up the brakes...the ABS did not kick in...How does one check the working of the ABS?

Has anyone replaced their rear brakes at 13000 miles? (9000 miles pulling a trailer...7000 miles in the twisties pulling trailer)

Thoughts?
Start by doing a complete brake inspection. Honda says it needs done every 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got bike back last night....Brake lines had air and installed new front brake pads and lubricated front caliper...appeared to be sticking thus premature wear on front brakes....all is good now

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
According to your statement, my rear tire should stop turning while on center stand when I apply the brake lever. I was curious about that shortly after I bought it. Tested it one day and found out that my rear tire does not stop turning like I thought it would. Only the brake pedal force is applied to both tires on my bike. Anyone else ever notice this as well?
None of that is 'my statement' --

It is Honda's words, cut and paste from the operators manual.

(page 13 of the operators manual)

Service manual does provides description of how it works and a fluid logic diagram.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
2018 DCT 13000 miles

Thoughts?
I find the foot travel required is further than on the 1832's.

(requires more ankle movement)

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Got bike back last night....Brake lines had air and installed new front brake pads and lubricated front caliper...appeared to be sticking thus premature wear on front brakes....all is good now
When I inspect my front calipers, I find nothing to lubricate. I'm thinking slide pins and such like the previous model. Where are the places we need to lube?

Glad you got the peddle brake to be properly firm and high. Keep guarded attention about that to see it re-occurs or if it was just not fully bled in the first place.

prs

·
Registered
350 Posts
Would you explain more fully what your brake service entailed? I'd like to learn more.

How were the front calipers lubricated? Having lubed the caliper pins on my 1832 several times over the years I was delighted to have the solid calipers of my 1833. One less thing to do. Have I missed something? I can't find any moving parts on the calipers other than the pistons.

With 15,000 miles on my 1833 I recently took a look at the front pads and was struck by how even the wear is on all four pads, and how little wear there is. Quite a contrast to my 1832, which has always been harder on the left pads no matter how diligently I lube the pins. On the 1833 pad wear front I assume I brake just as much as the next guy, so I'm baffled at reports of early pad replacement.

The only brake anomaly I've had was the parking brake, which was way out of range. Hardly ever use the parking brake, so getting right on it took me a year-and-a-half, but it's now done. If it was on the setup checklist the dealer missed it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I inspect my front calipers, I find nothing to lubricate. I'm thinking slide pins and such like the previous model. Where are the places we need to lube?

Glad you got the peddle brake to be properly firm and high. Keep guarded attention about that to see it re-occurs or if it was just not fully bled in the first place.

prs

Not sure where to lube the calipers...just what the deal said that they cleaned up the calipers and lubed them....I just assumed the slide pins like older models...I will now need to take the front calipers off and look at them....

Reactions: Pigeon Roost

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would you explain more fully what your brake service entailed? I'd like to learn more.

How were the front calipers lubricated? Having lubed the caliper pins on my 1832 several times over the years I was delighted to have the solid calipers of my 1833. One less thing to do. Have I missed something? I can't find any moving parts on the calipers other than the pistons.

With 15,000 miles on my 1833 I recently took a look at the front pads and was struck by how even the wear is on all four pads, and how little wear there is. Quite a contrast to my 1832, which has always been harder on the left pads no matter how diligently I lube the pins. On the 1833 pad wear front I assume I brake just as much as the next guy, so I'm baffled at reports of early pad replacement.

The only brake anomaly I've had was the parking brake, which was way out of range. Hardly ever use the parking brake, so getting right on it took me a year-and-a-half, but it's now done. If it was on the setup checklist the dealer missed it.

At the 12000 mark I had the front tire replaced...I had them look at the front brakes...they said about 20% left...so I said replace them....I was surprised..they did show me the old brake pads...they were worn...as for lubrication see previous post...the only thing I did notice before replacement is that the bike pulled to the right when applying front brakes thus the reason for the brake check....I have not really studied the front brakes...thus I just made the assumption that they were like the older models...obviously wrong assumption....as for the premature wear....I am not sure....I do pull a trailer but I would think the rear brake would wear out faster in that case...but rears had 75% life still....I will be watching this set of front pads to see...they do not pull to the right nor left when applied, so they must have done something to the calipers...they do look a lot cleaner so I don't know if brake dust had something to do with it...?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do notice as someone mentioned earlier that you do have to push further on the rear brake pedal for engagement...so I am wondering if the rear brakes are only engaging 25% thus I am using the front brakes more to compensate...thus the premature wear.....coming into corners I use very little brakes...engine brake....

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I've taken mine off just to satisfy Curious George. Cleaned them, noticed more wear than one would expect at low milage and somewhat uneven wear pattern with inner pads wearing more than outers. I noticed no place to use brake parts lube, but if you find such, do let us know. The rear brake caliper does have the slider in boot arrangement that should be lubed when pads are replaced,

I have a set of pads in my parts kit.

prs

·
Registered
283 Posts
None of that is 'my statement' --

It is Honda's words, cut and paste from the operators manual.

(page 13 of the operators manual)

Service manual does provides description of how it works and a fluid logic diagram.
Understood. Do you by any chance have the brake bleeding sequence for the 2018 DCT Tour?

Thanks
Big H

1 - 20 of 20 Posts