GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to go to S florida & I was thinking of cutting through the forest to daytona & heading south from there..Is it a nice ride & worth the extra time?..Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Absolutely....
Talk or PM Wingwing and/or OldBikerTom
There are some really nice, pretty roads here in the forest.
Even some twisties, which surprises everyone that comes to visit :)

:biker:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Of course you must like to see scrub pine and scrub oaks, because that is all you will see. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
40 is a great ride! The best riding we have done in north Florida is in Marion County. We did three hundred miles with a guy that is from there and it was some of the best riding and food we ever encountered. Not sure which way you're coming, but if from the north coming down 301 past Citra take the 200A split and pick up 316 it will take you over an excellent bridge that is very scenic and quite high! (it's great) stay on 316 (east) and you will come to Fort McCoy, take 315 South and pick up ST.RD.40 East. You do NOT want to go through Ocala, it's a pain with horrible traffic and this route will avoid all that and give you a great ride:thumbup:.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Man, it's been ages since I've been down 40. We used to do some boating and fishing over in the forest. Beautiful place.

·
Registered
863 Posts
it's pretty as far as fla roads go, if you like pines and scrub oak, straight, flat and no scenery. i would not detour out of my way to ride it.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Not sure where you're coming from, BUT, if you travel 301 south from I-10, Lawtey and Waldo are speed traps. Just FYI. To me, 40 out of Ocala is a bore if you run it all the way. Suggestions already made for some of the county roads missing most of 40 are best, IMO.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coming from Ga,I grew up in jupiter florida,& in the 33 years I lived there Never even thought about going through the Ocala NP...Always down the coast's ,Everglades & the big O...or was heading north..Appreciate all the info ,I will look over some of those routes..Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've cut through Ocala NF a couple of times and took highway 19. It's a much nicer (and cooler) ride compared to I-75 or I-95, or even 301.
JMHO...;)

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I actually like 40...

have done many eastbound sunrise "runs"
and with a little early morning fog, hwy 40 is awesome..
... maybe overused, but "surrealistic" is the word for me..

With just the right sun angle,
you can see the webs of what must be some very large spiders glinting in the morning light.

.. ok, no challenging twisties
... but lots of wildlife (birds, pigs, bears, deer, cranes, turtles)
... always grazing on the super wide shoulders way off the hwy.

The Ocala National Forest is one of the largest in the Southeast
and a morning eastbound ride (or sunset westbound) is like riding though another world...

morning sunrise last week...

twisties ARE great... but there are other roads too...

Dennis

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
40 should be more fun than an interstate, but con sider taking 19 South from the middle and then follow 2 lanes all the way instead of fighting traffic on the coastal roads. If you aren't in a hurry, the middle area can be a lot of fun.

If going to Miami, work your way past Tampa, and go to the Western end of 41 near Naples and then take that over to Miami. No toll, and a decent ride.

Detour south on 29 to Everglades city, and take it all the way to the end, very nice ride, then stop at the Rod and Gun Club http://www.evergladesrodandgun.com/

For some great food, and a neat building.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts