GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SS2000 Gold Monday July 8/9

I plan to again attempt a SS2000 Gold (2000 miles in 36 hours) beginning at 8:00 AM on Monday, July 8. I intend to start at the Exxon station by my home near Jasper at 8:00 AM and ride mostly I-10 to Van Horn. I’ll then double back on I-20 to Sweetwater. This is 1,034 miles.

I’ll catch a nap in Sweetwater, then retrace my steps back home. I’ll need to get my ending receipt at home by 8:00 PM Tuesday in order to beat the 36-hour clock.

I already miss my auxiliary fuel tank. With it, I could go 300+ miles between stops. By doing it natural I’ll have to make 3 more fuel stops each way, adding 30 minutes each way on the ride.

The reason I say “again attempt” this ride again is because the 1st time I tried it 2 years ago I got caught in an ice storm in Sweetwater so got shut down. I don’t expect an ice storm in July. The 2nd time, a few months ago, I lost an alternator on my 320,000 mile Goldwing so had to call it quits. This will be my inaugural Iron Butt ride on this new-to-me Goldwing. I’m also doing this because my wife says I’m way too old to do these Iron Butt rides, so I kinda have to do it.

The Spot tracking link is attached.
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1efd25d224a4fc4528&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Glenn, you got this!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Glen, just another ride in the park!
Good luck, buddy:grin2::grin2:

Ride Safe,
Jeff

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Third time's a charm. Good luck :yes:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Best of luck to you Glen!!! I'd say that I'd buy lunch on your way through, but I don't think you'll be stopping for that long!!!! Have a safe ride!!!

·
IronMan
17,623 Posts
Miles = smiles on a wing ! Enjoy n good luck !

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Good Luck Glen!!! With that new to you, pretty blue "12, it should be a breeze. I will be following your progress. Be safe out there.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts

·
Administrator
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
It's 7:30 here (Massachusetts time) now so your on the road as we speak, and all packed up...Don't forget to drink lot's of water and stay Hydrated...Yes!, please keep us in the loop on how your doing!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hey Ronnie, I think you're an hour the other way around. 7:30 EST is only 6:30 CST. We're an hour BEHIND you Easterners!!! He's still got an hour and 20 minutes before the ride starts. Probably drinking his last cup of coffee and waiting to make a pit stop before he leaves home this morning. But he'll be along soon enough.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts