GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm signed up for either date. Multiple riders can do the ride. Send him an email if you are interested. This is also posted on the IBA site.

A TRIBUTE TO JACK SHOALMIRE by Howard Entman

Jack had often said that he'd like to ride Saddle Sore 1000's in each of the 50 states, and he was well on his way to accomplishing that goal when his life was cut short by a heart attack. In his honor and memory, a select group of us will be able to memorialize Jack's dream by riding in-state SS1k's in each of the 50 states on one day. Suggested dates are October 15 or October 22. Those days should present decent weather--not too hot and not too cold.

If you would like to participate in this historic event, please let me know what date would be best (if you can do either please say so) and what state you would like to ride in. If you would be willing to ride in any one of several states, please let me know that, since I'm certain there will be some states without firm volunteers.

The IBA will issue a very special certificate for this ride at a discounted price of $22 (certification only program). All IBA rules will apply as to documentation and, if the ride is circuitous (like it must be in some of the eastern states) special witness rules may apply.

Jack was a friend and, at least to me, a hero. He was truly a LD rider. He completed countless IBA events. Let's add this event to his legacy.

I will be the IBA point person on this historic series of rides. If you can participate, please send me an email so I can maintain a mail list and keep list of who is doing what. Please include the state you are going to attempt so I can keep a master list of the states we need to cover.

Howard Entman
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Gotta pass this time, Brian...(over 50 certs? Wow!)

Bubba has been awful quiet lately; hope he's close to getting that remodeling task finished. Maybe he's one for a nice long in-state ride!
It is getting close, the kitchen is functional. All the boxes are installed and the counter top, stove, hood, sink, dishwasher, and refridge are in place and working, what's left is the finish trim out....best guess another couple or three months :).

BTW, we got the girl child married last weekend so that is now off the plate, I may take a little break this weekend and go for a hamburger at the Bear Wallow, if I can get it together. What a strange summer it has been.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Is there a route planned for the SS1K?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a route planned for the SS1K?
Leaving the Circle K at Queen Creek and Price Rd at or about 0300 on Saturday. It depends upon what time Kyle makes it here from Parker - see the thread on SWR.

Chandler, Maricopa, Tucson, Willcox, Safford, Globe, Show Low, Holbrook, Seligman, Winkleman, Quartzsite, Chandler. Should be about 1061 MSFT S&T miles.

Just saw your note that you're going to do the NM ride. I'm glad you're part of it.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
My plan is to leave the cabin at about 0400 and start about 530 from the AZ/NM line, then head up to 4 corners, Raton, Clayton, Clovis, Roswell, then ABQ. About 1050 miles. Have to do it on the ST-1100 as the Goldwing is in with the dealer. GPS blew up.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have to do it on the ST-1100 as the Goldwing is in with the dealer. GPS blew up.
It just couldn't handle all those routes you stuffed down its gullet in the past month.
;)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Had I been up about 30 minutes earlier, I might have been able to catch up to you Brian, as you rolled through town.

Skypig (Dorsey) on a yellow Wing is in close proximity to you (if you read this post thread a bit later today...) -- about 15 miles as I last checked the link.

Have fun, ride safe!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boy, I wish I could sleep like that every night. Normally I toss and turn throughout the night, but last night I tossed once, got a solid 7.5 hours of sleep and feel great.

Notable events:
41 degrees in the morning. 95 degrees in the afternoon.
I'm the one that needed a nap, not the rookie.
We saw a black panther on the side of the road west of Flagstaff.
Weather was great the entire day.

Here's the counter-clockwise route:

Pics at the Salt River Canyon:

The Wigwam on Route 66 in Holbrook

Kyle and I at our final photo destination

·
Registered
125 Posts
95 was fine except for the Squids in their pickups towing trailers passing on double yellow. I had to slow down several times to let them get by safely. I think I will start carrying marbles again.

Dorsey

1 - 20 of 36 Posts