GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, heres a wierd one. Recently my 02 will stall out after washing. Starts fine runs for a few seconds and dies. Only does this right after washing the bike. I know something must be getting wet but what? Ideas?

Tom

·
Vendor
18,597 Posts
The older GL1800 route water into a main plug under the shelter in front of the LF pocket. That is probably why. Try avoiding heavy spraying around the L mirror and upper freash air intake vent and see if that helps. After drying, they usually start.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I have the same problem. I have yet to figure it out. Don't ride it. Problem is it won't idle below 900 RPM. Wanna know how difficult it is to negotiate a 90° turn when it stalls on ya? Ride it and find out.:eek:4::eek:4:

Don't think it's the connector at the pocket nor do I think it's the sidestand switch because neither depends on RPM. I think it's got to do with the coils.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Waldo

GoldWingrGreg, I think you may be on to something there. I was trying to figure out what may have changed cause it only recently started doing this. Then I remembered the Cee Bailys windscreen I had put on. Because it is thicker all the parts wont line up 100% correct. This leaves a gap around the front part of the mirror seal. I bet water is getting in there now.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Some time ago someone made a rubber flap to cover the two main connector under the left pocket to divert water away from those connectors when the bike was washed.

They said it solved the problem when the bike got a good douse of water.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I think I will test that hypotheses one day by putting water directly into the connector. What it would have to do with the idle dropping from cold/fast to warm/slow is anyone's guess, but I'm probably not going to take hours to go figure it out by reading the ETM. Mine has always done it.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I had the same problem on an "03" after getting more agressive with the hose in and around the cockpit. It had to dry out overnight in order to be able to idle.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts