GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The current issue of the GWRRA magazine Wing World highlights trikes...what we all know as a 2 wheel motorcycle converted to a 3 wheeler. I find it very curious that the Stallion made by Thoroughbred Motorsports, a sister Company of MotorTrike Inc., is included in their trike kit review.

First of all, it is NOT a trike conversion. It is purpose built, open top, 2 seat, 3 wheel automobile. It is not based on a motorcycle, nor does it even remotely look like one. It has a steering wheel, an automobile engine and automatic transmission, and heat and air conditioning, just to name a few non-motorcycle characteristics.

The last I knew, a motorcycle had an engine between your legs, handlebars, front and rear brake levers, a twist grip throttle, and you sit on a motorcycle style saddle, not in bucket seats.

Sorry folks, but IMHO the review by Wing World of the Stallion as a "triked" motorcycle is rediculous and disengenuous.

I note with a cynical eye that this issue (and several previous issues) of Wing World included a very classy (and VERY expensive) 8 page advertising spread. Do you suppose that had any influence on the editors decision to include the Stallion in the trike review? How do you spell cash cow? :roll:

Each to his own of course, and I wish Motortrike success with their Stallion. But PLEASE, let's not compare it to a triked motorcycle.

Let the flames begin. :lol:

Ride safe.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Saw a Stallion at Americade this year. It seems that it has Ford parts (no comment) and a STEERING WHEEL! :shock: IMHO a vehicle with a steering wheel rather than handlebars is a car, actually a "cah" as we say here in Massachusetts. :wink:
Hate to be a downer, but that's how I see it. I, too, wish Motortrike the best with their new product, but I don't see one in my future.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pajim said:
Saw a Stallion at Americade this year. It seems that it has Ford parts (no comment) and a STEERING WHEEL! :shock: IMHO a vehicle with a steering wheel rather than handlebars is a car, actually a "cah" as we say here in Massachusetts. :wink:
Hate to be a downer, but that's how I see it. I, too, wish Motortrike the best with their new product, but I don't see one in my future.
pajim:

I love it! I was born and raised in Ohio until we moved to Mass in '48. I went all through JHS and HS in Wellesley, and then we moved to Michigan.

How well I recall the Car/Cah dialect. Another one that comes to mind is you folks open a "Draw" and you "Drawer" a picture. :lol: :roll:

Of course, out here in Michigan we speak the Kings English. :roll: :roll: NOT! Out here, it is "he don't...", I ain..'t....", "I seen...", et al. AARRRRGGG!

Good luck to you folks that live in the "Peoples Republik of Massachusetts". It was great place to live in the 50's. Sorry about what has happened to you since the Kennedys and their friends moved in. :(

I know...this "ain't" trike stuff. Sorry.

Ride safe.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IBTrike said:
I note with a cynical eye that this issue (and several previous issues) of Wing World included a very classy (and VERY expensive) 8 page advertising spread. Do you suppose that had any influence on the editors decision to include the Stallion in the trike review? How do you spell cash cow?
I doubt it.. I have seen motortrike do a large spread before, not necessarilly during a "Trike" issue

IBTrike said:
First of all, it is NOT a trike conversion. It is purpose built, open top, 2 seat, 3 wheel automobile. It is not based on a motorcycle, nor does it even remotely look like one. It has a steering wheel, an automobile engine and automatic transmission, and heat and air conditioning, just to name a few non-motorcycle characteristics.
Well here we go... the Trike police... :lol: :lol:
If it AINT a motorcycle it aint a trike.
Who made the rule that a TRIKE had to ba a conversion?
Who made the rule that a Trike had to be an open cockpit?
Who made the ruls that a Trike had to have handlebars?
Why cannot a trike be a purpose built mechanism?
By the way the fact that you stated "3 wheeled" defines the Stallion as a Trike, just not a CONVERSION TRIKE.

Well what about the old PRE-Goldwing VW trikes, some of them actually had steering wheels. Dont they count..

But lets look at the OFFICIAL definition of "TRIKE".
Courtsey of Websters online dictionary.....
Websters said:
Main Entry: trike
Pronunciation: 'trIk
Function: noun
Etymology: by shortening & alteration
: TRICYCLE

Main Entry: tri·cy·cle
Pronunciation: 'trI-s&-k&l, -"si-k&l
Etymology: French, from tri- + Greek kyklos wheel -- more at WHEEL
: a 3-wheeled vehicle propelled by pedals or a motor
The term TRIKE is a designation of a viehicle with a given number of wheels... not some arbitrary, opinion of how it handles, Does it have a steering wheel, how it rides, what is on it, what kind of engine.. etc...
It could have had 3 wheels drivein by 2 chipmunks, and it still would be a TRIKE.
Is this a trike?
You bet, 3 wheels, just not a motorized Trike, but a TRIKE just the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with IBTrike - there are many things that may pass off "technically" as a trike; but are they in the true spirit of a trike? If we consider the only things to separate a car from a motorcycle/trike is the number of wheels, then we are not paying attention to the true spirit of motorcycling.

A converted Goldwing is very close to a motorcycle as well as the Stallion is close to a convertible. The only thing keeping the Stallion from being a car is the lack of 1 wheel. The only thing keeping a Goldwing trike from being a motorcycle is the reduction of 1 wheel.

What is going to happen to the trike's classification when local DMV's see this thing, and they don't know what to do with it? How is it titled? What kind of license is necessary? And how about air bags....I would certainly think some wise lawyer is going to come up with the reasoning behind the addition of an air bag to a vehicle that is very much a car. And lastly, who handles the warranty work.....I would think a Pontiac Solstice is a much better option (and about 5 grand cheaper)

And lastly (lastly), this whole hp/weight ratio - who cares? What does it matter? Do the calculations on an 1800 GW v Mustang v Corvette v Stallion. The 1800 GW beats them all - plus a higher running, better geared transmission. I would bank the GW1800 against most street legal cars on the road....a Ranger engine will not out perform the GW (at least in my experience)

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cjmitch said:
IBTrike said:
I note with a cynical eye that this issue (and several previous issues) of Wing World included a very classy (and VERY expensive) 8 page advertising spread. Do you suppose that had any influence on the editors decision to include the Stallion in the trike review? How do you spell cash cow?
I doubt it.. I have seen motortrike do a large spread before, not necessarilly during a "Trike" issue

IBTrike said:
Well here we go... the Trike police... :lol: :lol:
If it AINT a motorcycle it aint a trike.
Who made the rule that a TRIKE had to ba a conversion?
Who made the rule that a Trike had to be an open cockpit?
Who made the ruls that a Trike had to have handlebars?
Why cannot a trike be a purpose built mechanism?
By the way the fact that you stated "3 wheeled" defines the Stallion as a Trike, just not a CONVERSION TRIKE.

Well what about the old PRE-Goldwing VW trikes, some of them actually had steering wheels. Dont they count..

Websters said:

The term TRIKE is a designation of a viehicle with a given number of wheels... not some arbitrary, opinion of how it handles, Does it have a steering wheel, how it rides, what is on it, what kind of engine.. etc...
It could have had 3 wheels drivein by 2 chipmunks, and it still would be a TRIKE.
Is this a trike?
You are absolutey correct in everything you say, Sir. Unfortunately not one bit of it has anything to do with this issue. :roll:

Thank you for clarifying for us all what the true definition of a trike is. :p

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go polish my "trike police" badge.

Ride safe.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please remember that I am not flaming anyone, this is really going to be a good discussion.

slippery1 said:
I agree with IBTrike - there are many things that may pass off "technically" as a trike; but are they in the true spirit of a trike? If we consider the only things to separate a car from a motorcycle/trike is the number of wheels, then we are not paying attention to the true spirit of motorcycling.
My question, WHO set down the "Man Law" (I love those commercials) of "the spirit of motorcycling"?
Who said the Stallion was trying to be a motorcycle? To me its just a REALLY comfortable Trike.
We sound like the HD dudes, when they say, a goldwing sucks because its too comfortable, or its a rolling sofa. How pissed do we get when they say this? Are we falling away from the "spirit of motorcycling"? NAH, we just want some comfort.

Does a BOSS HOSS follow in the TRUE spirit of motorcycling?
Remember it has a V8 and a AUTOMATIC tranny, and just a tad bit less in metal for a frame. (ok a lot less covering/fiberglass) I defy you to tell an owner of one that hes not following in the TRUE spirit of the motorcycle/trike?
Come on guys....

slippery1 said:
A converted Goldwing is very close to a motorcycle as well as the Stallion is close to a convertible. The only thing keeping the Stallion from being a car is the lack of 1 wheel. The only thing keeping a Goldwing trike from being a motorcycle is the reduction of 1 wheel.

What is going to happen to the trike's classification when local DMV's see this thing, and they don't know what to do with it? How is it titled? What kind of license is necessary? And how about air bags....I would certainly think some wise lawyer is going to come up with the reasoning behind the addition of an air bag to a vehicle that is very much a car.
Classification... Trike
Liscence... motorcycle trike
Air bag... no problem.. add one, Honda has them on the 1800 right now, and that didnt change the classification to anything but motorcycle

slippery1 said:
And lastly, who handles the warranty work.....I would think a Pontiac Solstice is a much better option (and about 5 grand cheaper)
Stallion / motortrike

slippery1 said:
And lastly (lastly), this whole hp/weight ratio - who cares? What does it matter?
Weight hp ratio is simply a way of stating how much weight the engine will have to pull.
A 2.5 liter 4 cylinder trying to pull an Escalade is a high ratio. Thus WAY lower acceleration (0 to xxmph in xx seconds).
A low ratio means that it will accelerate like a shocked rabbit, because of less weight to pull.
4 cyl stallion/with 1000lbs weight = some number.
8 cyl vette / with 2000lbs weight = same number.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IBTrike said:
Now if you will excuse me, I have to go polish my "trike police" badge.
what are you using Plexus? Honda cleaner.... Oh boy here we go a polish thread... HIJACK... HIJACK......

Anyway...
Im looking at the article right now (online pdf) and there was only 1 line that even mentioned the Stallion.
But your right... the title as it was was presuming that the Stallion was a Conversion of some type.
The title read....
trike Conversions and wings
It should have read...
Trikes, Conversions, and Wings.
This would have given it a broader scope...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hay John, have you ever seen or read anything that you actually agree with? The fact that you always or so it seems you always try to Pi$$ on everyones prade. It seems that whenever I see a coment from you it seems that your comments are ALWAYS negative. Now it seems that you disaprove of the new trike from Motortrike. I wonder just who made you the trike authority. Just for the fun of it just once why don't you sit back and let people think what they want and form their own opinion about the new conversion. The fact that you are apperantly an authority on everything certainly does not give you the right to Poo Poo anyone's opinion that differs from yours.
I am not trying to pick a fight with you but voice my opinion. I am sure that you will surely have plenty of comments about what I have said here but I just call them the way I see them. So let the flames begin. By the way the way I see it your beef is with Motortrike and Wing World not anyone here.JMHO!

Tom

·
Registered
994 Posts
cjmitch said:
Is this a trike?
Hey I have one of those too! A real blast to ride/drive. With our converted Goldwing I guess I need one of those by Motortrike and we will have all the bases covered. :lol:

Actually we got a test ride in the new one. It was the prototype and I was not happy with the workmanship. The dealer wanted us to put a down payment on the new ones. I told him to get the actual production model before he tried to sell any. The prototype had awkward access to the seats, no trunk, no access to engine and very cheezy interior panels. It supposedly had AC which would be a plus on some trips. It was fast and nimble and would be a blast to ride. Not sure of long distances. Neither of us liked the steering wheel but to each his own.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it was a good article on trikes and all they had was a one liner on the Stallion - which I view as a cute 3 wheel roadster. I wish them well but I would not have one. If I want a roadster, I will get a Miata or Sky, etc. and have 4 wheels.

I like looking down at the road as we ride. The panoramic view on my trike is fantastic.

I think the future bodes well for trikes.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tom Victory said:
Hay John, have you ever seen or read anything that you actually agree with? The fact that you always or so it seems you always try to Pi$$ on everyones prade. It seems that whenever I see a coment from you it seems that your comments are ALWAYS negative. Now it seems that you disaprove of the new trike from Motortrike. I wonder just who made you the trike authority. Just for the fun of it just once why don't you sit back and let people think what they want and form their own opinion about the new conversion. The fact that you are apperantly an authority on everything certainly does not give you the right to Poo Poo anyone's opinion that differs from yours.
I am not trying to pick a fight with you but voice my opinion. I am sure that you will surely have plenty of comments about what I have said here but I just call them the way I see them. So let the flames begin. By the way the way I see it your beef is with Motortrike and Wing World not anyone here.JMHO!

Tom
Tom:

If you would regularly read this and other Boards you would see that there is a great deal that I agree with, support, and contribute to.

I have no bone to pick with MotorTrike. Where did you get that idea? If you read my post, you will see that I wished them success with the Stallion.

When I posted this topic, I fully expected a few responses (Flames) from folks like you. I wasn't disappointed. :lol:

Flame on...Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
IBTrike said:
Guess you never saw one of those VW trikes eh? You know... the ones that were never a motorcycle, but had three wheels, a custom frame and an automotive transmission. :wink:

The Stallion is by any definition a Trike. However, you are correct in that it is NOT a trike conversion.

·
Registered
245 Posts
IBTrike said:
The current issue of the GWRRA magazine Wing World highlights trikes...what we all know as a 2 wheel motorcycle converted to a 3 wheeler. I find it very curious that the Stallion made by Thoroughbred Motorsports, a sister Company of MotorTrike Inc., is included in their trike kit review.

The last I knew, a motorcycle had an engine between your legs, handlebars, front and rear brake levers, a twist grip throttle, and you sit on a motorcycle style saddle, not in bucket seats.

Sorry folks, but IMHO the review by Wing World of the Stallion as a "triked" motorcycle is rediculous and disengenuous.

I note with a cynical eye that this issue (and several previous issues) of Wing World included a very classy (and VERY expensive) 8 page advertising spread. Do you suppose that had any influence on the editors decision to include the Stallion in the trike review? How do you spell cash cow? :roll:

Each to his own of course, and I wish Motortrike success with their Stallion. But PLEASE, let's not compare it to a triked motorcycle.

Let the flames begin. :lol:

Ride safe.
No flame suit needed here from my perspective. My trike is a MotorTrike, and my installer is the number one MT installer in the nation. Before I bought my trike in April, I researched the Stallion. I discounted it as a motorcycle, and for that reason I opted for the trike.

Secondly, YES there is a relationship between advertising and getting your product "featured" in an article. No shock there, it happens every day in the advertising world.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sorry John, you are right you do contribute allot. Like the time that you put down trailers and everyone who had anything to do with them. Is that what you call a contribution? And yes I have read your contributions on other boards. I am sorry you really are a great humanitarian. But to my way of thinking you are little less than a wet blanket or black cloud which ever you prefer.
And as far as you not having a beef with Motortrike I refer to your paragraph two and I quote "First of all, it is NOT a trike conversion." To which I say and I quote "Who Cares" if it is or not. Once again I quote "It is not based on a motorcycle, nor does it even remotely look like one." Well to me it looks like one and I am sure many others see it as a trike. And just to make things a little more clear I will quote you one last time "Sorry folks, but IMHO the review by Wing World of the Stallion as a "triked" motorcycle is rediculous and disengenuous. Sounds like you really do have a beef with the people who wrote the article in Wing World or Motortrike. Why not contact Motortrike and make your case with them and see if they buy it?
Again JMHO.

And you have a great day and may I suggest that you take a chill pill.

Tom

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMHO - JMHO, really?

A wise man once said: "Humility is such a fragile trait, that when you realize you have it, you've lost it."

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah-those letters about people helping other people are cynical too. I wish they'd stop printing them. It gives Gold wingers a good name.
:lol:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Alright CJ, John, Tom. You guys need to move this to the OTB. We are starting to get into personalities. Ooooops, sorry. OTB is gone. Well then you need to move this to,...... well I guess just keep it here. :lol: :lol:

CJ, I just knew you were having withdrawals. And I was right. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
cjmitch said:
Websters said:

Mr. Webster said " A trike is a vehicle with three wheels".

He did not say that all three wheeled vehicles are trikes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts