GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experimenting with intersection lights and lane position to get the lights to turn from red.
Nothing I have tried has made a bit of difference until yesterday morning. I was sitting at a light, one that I seem to spend hours waiting to change, no matter what my position in the lane. This time, I kept inching closer and closer to the left side of the circle in the pavement, waiting a little while, and then moving closer.
Nothing happened. So I thought I would try putting down the kick stand. I positioned the kick stand so it hit directly on the circle. Within 2 seconds the light for cross traffic changed to yellow, then red and I had the green light. I had read somewhere, here, before, that this might work. I did not ride to day, as the weather was abominable, I will try it again the next time I ride to work.
I am keeping my fingers crossed. There are four of the changers in a line in each of two lanes. I performed this maneuver in left turn lane over the circle closest to the intersection.
Any one else out there been trying this?

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I just let traffic clear and go. Screw the color of the light.:twisted:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll have to remember this. In TN it is legal for a motorcycle to run the red if it is safe, however, I have been at lights that won't change and there is no break in traffic.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm a sceptic by nature. However, on a whim, I ordered one of those signal light changers that stick on the bottom of the cowl of the bike because I was tired of sitting through numerous left turn signals. Ever since I installed it I have yet to sit through multiple light sequences. It's as if I were sitting in my car at the light. Works every time like clock work!

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/6_Add_On/27446_Signal_Magic_Traffic_Light_Changer/http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/6_Add_On/27446_Signal_Magic_Traffic_Light_Changer/

·
Registered
251 Posts
On my VTX I used a Green Light Trigger from GreenLightStuff.com. Worked like a charm, but also been told 1) cycle the lights, or 2) put the kick stand down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been using the kick stand like this for several years. I wait until I think the light should have changed and when it doesn't, I put the kick stand down directly on one of the sensor lines. Works every time!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'll have to remember this. In TN it is legal for a motorcycle to run the red if it is safe, however, I have been at lights that won't change and there is no break in traffic.
I did not know this about TN. Good to know. I do a lot of riding there. A pal of mine & I were out riding one day and we were talking to a policeman at a local resturant and he said he didn't ticket bikes because he knew the problem. I doubt if all of the boys in blue would be so understanding.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The first time I did this with my wife on the back, she about beat the **** out of me.:22yikes:

·
Registered
434 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the Wing yet, but I have used a Green Light Trigger on past bikes, and it seemed to work for me. I could tell a difference at lights I would regularly visit. Some people like them, some don't, but I figured for $12 I couldn't go too far wrong.

I have done a variation of the stand trick - I use the centerstand. I just reach back with my left foot, and push it down until it contacts the pavement. The centerstand has two advantages - it has more metal, and when you take your foot off, it springs back up to its proper storage position. With the sidestand, you have to remember to raise it or risk killing the bike/having very exciting left turns.

There is a bit of an art to getting lights to change. I always line the bike up over where a sensor should be - under the pattern (circle/rectangle) cut into the pavement if visible.

·
Registered
250 Posts
In FL, most of the embedded roadbed sensors I see consist of two rectangular strips in the lane as you near the stop-line.

I have noticed - at intersections whereat I KNOW the traffic light signal phase sequences are NOT programmed variably for time-of-day or traffice volumes - that if I position the bike directly over the right-hand rectangular strip, it seems to trigger phase Green much faster than if I situate the bike on the left-hand strip, or between them. Don't have a Clue why that is the case, but I've seen the pattern consistently in my region of Central FL.

Putting the stand down makes sense because I believe most of the embedded roadbed sensors are of the MAD (magnetic anomaly detector) type, and you're putting more ferrous metal closer to and in direct contact with the roadbed.

That's why those $12 signal light triggers kinda mystify me. Anybody know exactly WHY they reportedly work so well? Are they simply some kind of "supermagnet"? If not just a super-magnet, it's hard to envision how or why they would work. I'm trying to not be a close-minded skeptic, but I can't help but to wonder a possibility that we may have some illusionary "Placebo Effect"? Wherein we "think" or "expect" it'll work, and our brains therefore believe it "does"? But then I know most of us are very discriminating consumers, because we own and ride GWs, LOL.

I am not at all dismissing the reports of first-hand personal-experience Users, at all. I'm just really curious re what the technigue or science consists of that makes the Signal Light Triggers work as well as Users say they do. Anybody know?

In the wind is in the wind, and sitting at the red-light stop-line Ain't. I hate being there because even with flicking the brake-lever for the rear spoiler Tailblazer brakelight modulater, it's at the stopline where I feel most vulnerable to being rear-ended by Inattentive Sally putting on her eye makeup in the visor mirror as she's driving down the raod & approaching behind me.

So if someone can explain the science and convince me, heck, for $12, I'll jump on it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
643 Posts
S.C. just added the same law there is a time limit that slips my mind right now. Just make sure it is safe before you go.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have had good results placing the front wheel right on the seam. So far I have never had to wait longer than usual.

Ride Safe
Dick

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I guess you just have to remember to put it in neutral first (one advantage of the guy who uses his centerstand).

I just use this as an excuse to run the red light.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts