GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, heres one for you. I will give you the details.

Lately, I noticed that the bike will not start all the time in gear (Clutch In) and sometimes it will. Or when I go to start in gear, it won't start first time I hit the switch, then I hit it again and it starts.(I also wait for the fuel pump to stop cycling). Kill switch is in the on position

Sometimes I have to put it in nuetral to start the machine.(kickstand is up when I try to start in gear)

I know its not the start switch, because the headlights will dim, when I hit the switch with a no start. (Starter won't engage)

A little un-nerving sometimes, any thoughts.

Its a 2005 with 13,000 om it

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
My 03 was doing that. I squirted some contact cleaner on the clutch switch and it cleared it up. I now carry a can of contact cleaner on trips. Try that.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to seem like a dummy, there are a couple of clutch switches, give me the general location

·
Registered
177 Posts
Start

My 01 does the same thing. I don't worry about it as long as it starts. The only time I get a bit cranky is when it won't start at all.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Thick aftermarket grips maybe not letting the switch engage! Funky aftermarlet levers! Dirty switch? Loose switch? Defective switch? Worn lever bushings? Bad/dirty kickstand switch?

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
mine does the same thing accasionally, so did my 2001, not sure but in my case i think its the switches by the clutch lever, work the lever back and forth a couple times and it starts, doesn't really bother me

for a while mine would even crank over in gear with the clutch out, they replaced some regulator under the seat that i think had something to do with reverse, been working fine since and warranty covered it so i'm happy

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
JimRo said:
... Lately, I noticed that the bike will not start all the time in gear (Clutch In) and sometimes it will. Or when I go to start in gear, it won't start first time I hit the switch, then I hit it again and it starts. ....
OEM levers?

Is the lever FULLY pulled in?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OEM levers?

Is the lever FULLY pulled in?
I have Kuri wide levers and have had them on the bike for 11,000 miles.

Never has been a problem. Also have a wide fish foot kickstand, Hmm also on for about 11,000 miles.

I guess will have to do a retightening and elec connect check.

Never had an issue with these parts. Good thoughts, by you guys.

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Clutch Switch

My 04 had started the same thing last week, I was in Ga and did get wet . But when I got home I took the clutch switch off and looking in a little access hole I see a set of points, Found a little file and filed them a little, Packed the hole with dialitic grease, Only been a week but so far so good

Tinwacker 2004 108000 miles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts