GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a short ride today. Stopped to get gas. Left it in 1st gear and dropped the side stand so bike shut down and I removed the key to gas up. After filling up turned key on, folded up side stand, pulled in clutch and hit start switch. Nothing - no cranking, no lights dimming etc. Went through the usual checks. Side stand down and up, rotated kill switch up and down and turned off key. Tried again - still nothing. On the third try I did everything the same but also let out the clutch and rolled the bike back about 4 inches until it stopped. Pulled in the clutch and it fired right up. Thoughts?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I’d start with the switch on the side stand

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Tried again - still nothing. On the third try I did everything the same but also let out the clutch and rolled the bike back about 4 inches until it stopped. Pulled in the clutch and it fired right up. Thoughts?
You didn't get the email ... all 5th gens need "push-back" before starting.

Did dash lights and headlamps come on ???
Have your battery tested, and make sure your battery connections are clean and tight. If you are using a battery tender, you might consider not using one. One can leave home with false hope ... of coarse it will crank over and start, it was just unplugged from battery charges. But down the road it may not. A healthy battery will strongly crank over a 5th gen 30days later with no tender.

·
Administrator
4,581 Posts
all 5th gens need "push-back" before starting
Confused........can you explain that a little? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Gregg, i just un plugged my battery tender....Your right about false hope.. It's a newly installed battery two weeks old (so I shouldn't need the tender, till I have to put her away in November (I live in Massachusetts/and it does get too cold to ride)

Thank you!

Ronnie

·
Administrator
4,581 Posts
Gregg, i just un plugged my battery tender....Your right about false hope.. It's a newly installed battery two weeks old (so I shouldn't need the tender, till I have to put her away in November (I live in Massachusetts/and it does get too cold to ride)

Thank you!

Ronnie
Now, if he could just get you to go more than 2500 miles on an oil change.....:grin2:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Went out for a short ride today. Stopped to get gas. Left it in 1st gear and dropped the side stand so bike shut down and I removed the key to gas up. After filling up turned key on, folded up side stand, pulled in clutch and hit start switch. Nothing - no cranking, no lights dimming etc. Went through the usual checks. Side stand down and up, rotated kill switch up and down and turned off key. Tried again - still nothing. On the third try I did everything the same but also let out the clutch and rolled the bike back about 4 inches until it stopped. Pulled in the clutch and it fired right up. Thoughts?
Have you disconnected the battery cables and checked and cleaned the cable end plates and the battery terminals? I would do this first. The sidestand and clutch lever switches won’t kill the lights.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Techdude, if I read it correct his comment about the lights were that they didn't dim when he hit the start button. I believe Red is correct and I think you have a bad clutch switch. I suspect it started after you rolled it because you put it in neutral, which took the clutch switch out of the equation. Try starting it in gear again with the clutch pulled in and see if it starts. If it doesn't start in gear with the clutch pulled in, but starts in neutral the clutch switch is the most likely culprit.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Techdude, if I read it correct his comment about the lights were that they didn't dim when he hit the start button. I believe Red is correct and I think you have a bad clutch switch. I suspect it started after you rolled it because you put it in neutral, which took the clutch switch out of the equation. Try starting it in gear again with the clutch pulled in and see if it starts. If it doesn't start in gear with the clutch pulled in, but starts in neutral the clutch switch is the most likely culprit.
I guess we need more details. Which lights is he saying didn’t dim? Head lights wouldn’t be affected by the clutch switch. I wonder if he was getting the normal lights and sounds at key turn-on?

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts

Thank you!

Ronnie
Was the battery prepped correctly ??? Some think a tender is a charger. Your prep instructions probably used the words "battery charger."

FYI ... for good battery health, be sure to follow the instructions that came with the battery.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
all 5th gens need "push-back" before starting
Confused........can you explain that a little? Thanks.
It's a bad joke that apparently only I thought was funny.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never thought about the clutch switch. I have always started bikes with the clutch engaged whether in gear or neutral. Old habit because I don't necessarily trust the neutral light. I have since tired starting in neutral and 1st gear. Everything went fine. I'll try to pay more attention to the exact circumstances if it happens again.

To answer some questions, I meant the dash lights didn't dim. Couldn't see the headlights so don't know about those. I do leave it on the battery tender if it isn't going to be ridden for any length of time. Battery is less than 2 years old. Abut 70K on the bike (I know, not enough but work keeps getting in the way)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts