GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as of lately when I start the bike, switch in the starting position, nothing.Try it again, nothing, shut it all down, try it again, when I release after nothing, it does a quick fire up and shuts down. Try it a again, then it fires up.
Not every time, but it annoying.
This afternoon, I start it up, runs for a second or 2, then stops. It does this a few times.
Then it will fire up.
After today's start stop issue, I take off and the bike cuts out, then its working, then its not, then it is, slight sputtering, All in 50-75 feet, but those off and on is causing a hesitation motion as I would expect.
After a bit of some hesitation moments and about 10 miles and did get some gas, and it seemed fine from then. I drive 65 miles one way in the morning without an issue.
It 90 deg plus here, yes dry heat.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Hmmm, I'd be more interested in what the battery voltage is doing during all this. Also, you indicated ran fine after fresh gas?

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
So as of lately when I start the bike, switch in the starting position, nothing.Try it again, nothing, shut it all down, try it again, when I release after nothing, it does a quick fire up and shuts down. Try it a again, then it fires up.
This afternoon, I start it up, runs for a second or 2, then stops. It does this a few times.
Then it will fire up.
After today's start stop issue, I take off and the bike cuts out, then its working, then its not, then it is, slight sputtering, All in 50-75 feet, but those off and on is causing a hesitation motion as I would expect.
After a bit of some hesitation moments and about 10 miles and did get some gas, and it seemed fine from then. I drive 65 miles one way in the morning without an issue.
How low was the gas tank?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like bad fuel. just monitor now you have filled up with fresh gas.
i never fill gas from a no name gas station. Not suggesting you did, just stating.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Fuel wont keep the starter from turning over... kill switch. starter switch dirty or the starter relay needs replaced. Stopping after its running points to a dirty/corroded kill switch. Flip it back and forth a couple dozen times and see if anything changes....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Then it will fire up.
Read the fault codes...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No fault codes, I never let it go below 2 gallons in the tank, since I drive 130 round trip everyday, I refill everyday.
In the morning, its flaw less, I do suspect the rocker switch. I got the warranty to cover it and a dealer 1200 feet away.
I will drop it off there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts