GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike sat for about 4 days, cold rain and not feeling well on the sidestand.

When I started it the first second or two had a significant knocking sound. Have heard light tapping sounds before but this was considerably louder.

Using Shell synthetic oil. Have had the bike sit this long before but this is the first time the noise was this loud.

I am approaching my usual oil change interval which is around 4k miles.

Should I be concerned, or chaulk it up to "just the way it is sometimes"?
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
Knocking

Sorry but no I have never heard anything close to a knocking sound. Occassionally I have just a brief ticking sound after sitting maybe for a second or two only. Keep us posted, that sounds unique. Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Mine does this sometimes also, When I turn mine on I hit the kill switch just before it starts. This seems to get the oil flowing and when it does fire up it does not make any noise. dosent seem to hurt anything.

N Ga Rider
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
if you are not using the honda oil filter, this might be the problem, the honda filter has a by-pass in it that will alow oil that is cold to by-pass and start to circulate a little faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gmk1800 said:
if you are not using the honda oil filter, this might be the problem, the honda filter has a by-pass in it that will alow oil that is cold to by-pass and start to circulate a little faster.
Honda filter used and a fresh crush washer too. BG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Great White Wing said:
Should I be concerned, or chaulk it up to "just the way it is sometimes"?
Mine has done this twice. First time was the end of last season when it had 26K miles on it. It stopped after a few seconds. The second time was this year with about 50K miles on it and it stopped quickly again. Now I don't worry at all.

BTW, I always use an OEM Honda filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,246 Posts
Great White Wing said:
Bike sat for about 4 days, cold rain and not feeling well on the sidestand. ....
Oil pooling in the left cylinders?

Mine has never done that, but, also, it never sits for any length of time on the sidestand.

Question: When you heard the noise, did you see any blue smoke from the left tailpipe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All Boots No Saddle said:
[quote="Great White Wing":z2k1yjwf]Bike sat for about 4 days, cold rain and not feeling well on the sidestand. ....
Oil pooling in the left cylinders?

Mine has never done that, but, also, it never sits for any length of time on the sidestand.

Question: When you heard the noise, did you see any blue smoke from the left tailpipe?[/quote:z2k1yjwf]

Didn't notice any smoke. it was 4:15 AM in a dark garage. The bike has sat longer like the 10 days I went Europe but I out it on the centerstand.

Be interesting to hear what it does after work tonight. I will be paying attention closely.

Thanks all for your responses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
939 Posts
My Wife's 03 1800 with about 35,000 miles on has done this twice. Both times with a cold engine. Don't like to hear it but no known damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I've seen 2 of these kind of noises that developed into a 'knock only at idle' :(

Both turned out to be a failed 'gear assembly' #13430-MCA-780 it's better discribed as the alternator gear damper. Bad side to this is that the engine has to be removed to remove the rear cover.

If your bike is still under warranty it might be a good idea to purchase the extended warranty cuz Honda won't tear the engine apart until the noise is consistant. In these 2 cases the noise would go away at anything above idle but were consistant and it was easy to 'confirm the customer complaint'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rayworx said:
I've seen 2 of these kind of noises that developed into a 'knock only at idle' :(

Both turned out to be a failed 'gear assembly' #13430-MCA-780 it's better discribed as the alternator gear damper. Bad side to this is that the engine has to be removed to remove the rear cover.

If your bike is still under warranty it might be a good idea to purchase the extended warranty cuz Honda won't tear the engine apart until the noise is consistant. In these 2 cases the noise would go away at anything above idle but were consistant and it was easy to 'confirm the customer complaint'.
Bike is just over a year old and I have the extended already. Thanks Hal.
 

·
Chard Member
Joined
·
13,061 Posts
I've heard the deep hammering sound from the bottom end you are talking about a few times. Sounds like the crank and mains are trying to jump out of the case for a couple seconds. :tools1:


In mine it seems if I start the bike then shut it off quick, then restart after a couple hours is when it happens. I've had a couple do that! :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
In mine it seems if I start the bike then shut it off quick, then restart after a couple hours is when it happens. I've had a couple do that! :roll:
What Red said. Happend to me once under same conditions. I think it has something to do with the ECM becoming "confused" after start, short run (~30 seconds), stop. At re-start, mine sounded like it was creating an extreme detonation situation for about 3 - 5 seconds and then became perfectly normal. Hasn't happend since, but I haven't done the start, short run, stop, re-start since either.

Greyhound
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
greyhound said:
In mine it seems if I start the bike then shut it off quick, then restart after a couple hours is when it happens. I've had a couple do that! :roll:
What Red said. Happend to me once under same conditions. I think it has something to do with the ECM becoming "confused" after start, short run (~30 seconds), stop. At re-start, mine sounded like it was creating an extreme detonation situation for about 3 - 5 seconds and then became perfectly normal. Hasn't happend since, but I haven't done the start, short run, stop, re-start since either.

Greyhound
Mine was not the short run turn ot off scenario. Used it normally, sat 4 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a bad oil filter.
Many filters have an anti-drainback valve to prevent dirty oil from backwashing back into the oil pan. They also have a pressure relief or bypass valve that will allow oil to bypass the filter element in the event that it becomes too plugged to pass enough oil. This prevents engine oil starvation and the possibility of destroying the element, possibly causing pieces of it and the junk it filtered to enter the engine. Also, when the oil is cold and very thick, it will tend to bypass the filter through the pressure relief valve because it cannot pass through the element until it thins out somewhat. If it did not do this, the filter element media would tear open.In your case, I think its either a bad anti-drainback valve that is allowing the filter to empty out when it is sitting, then when you go to start it its gotta fill back up, during that process is when you are hearing the noise I bet. I would put a new filter on it and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Toyo said:
Sounds to me like you have a bad oil filter.
Many filters have an anti-drainback valve to prevent dirty oil from backwashing back into the oil pan. They also have a pressure relief or bypass valve that will allow oil to bypass the filter element in the event that it becomes too plugged to pass enough oil. This prevents engine oil starvation and the possibility of destroying the element, possibly causing pieces of it and the junk it filtered to enter the engine. Also, when the oil is cold and very thick, it will tend to bypass the filter through the pressure relief valve because it cannot pass through the element until it thins out somewhat. If it did not do this, the filter element media would tear open.In your case, I think its either a bad anti-drainback valve that is allowing the filter to empty out when it is sitting, then when you go to start it its gotta fill back up, during that process is when you are hearing the noise I bet. I would put a new filter on it and see what happens.
Well, seeing I am close to an oil change anyway, I'll do it as soon as I can get to it. Yes a fresh crush washer for thise who are worried. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,246 Posts
Toyo said:
Sounds to me like you have a bad oil filter. ...
To me, that sounds like it would be very low on the list of things that could be wrong.

At each oil change I install a new, empty oil filter. On start-up I don't touch the throttle and let it idle for a while to fill the filter and build oil pressure. It doesn't take long to fill the filter, but I have never heard any unusual noises from the engine during this time, let alone any loud knocking.

One suggestion would be to avoid parking the bike for long periods of time on the side stand. Oil in the engine can slowly leak past the piston rings into the cylinders on the left (low) side of the engine and drastically increase the compression ratio in those cylinders during start-up until the oil burns away. IF this were the case, you would see blue smoke from the left muffler for a short time.

Or, it could be something else.... :wink:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top