GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I keep my 2010 Wing on a Battery Tender 24/7. I installed a digital volt meter a couple years ago. When I start my bike it reads 10.5-10.6 volts. The same Brand charger is on my Kawasaki Concours. Same set up. So when I start the Kawasaki it reads 12.6. Why the difference? Shouldn't the Wing's voltage be at or above 12 volts?

I have no problems starting the Wing. And once it is up and running the voltage goes up to 14.4 V and varies down and back depending on what is on.

·
Vendor
18,082 Posts
So I keep my 2010 Wing on a Battery Tender 24/7. I installed a digital volt meter a couple years ago. When I start my bike it reads 10.5-10.6 volts. The same Brand charger is on my Kawasaki Concours. Same set up. So when I start the Kawasaki it reads 12.6. Why the difference? Shouldn't the Wing's voltage be at or above 12 volts?

I have no problems starting the Wing. And once it is up and running the voltage goes up to 14.4 V and varies down and back depending on what is on.
Make sure all the connections to the volt meter are clean, and the connections at the battery are clean and tight also. Then have your battery professionally tested. If all good there, voltage is lost as the wire gets longer ... thus a volt meter closer to the battery will show voltage closer to battery voltage. Also, don't count out the aftermarket volt meter. Like all aftermarket stuff from one gauge to another, the readings can very.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
How old is the wing's battery?
How do the battery ages compare on the 2 bikes?

Slower recovery after starting may be a early indicator that the battery is becoming weaker.

Load test, as suggested by Greg, is probably a good idea.

Especially when just disconnected from a charging device a weak battery can show 'good' voltage, but that doesn't mean it can supply the same amount of current that a fresh one will.
Preliminary test might be to park it an not connect the maintainer and determine the voltage drop over a day or two.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bad. The voltage is 11.5 to 11.6 volts. So, I don't think its a problem. The Kawasaki battery is 2 mos old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts