GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin's 2010 Wing; He hasn't ridden in a while but we were going out for the afternoon. It fired right up and he pulled out of the garage then shut down to clean it up a bit until I got to his house. We went to leave and it was TOTALLY dead. No lights, nothing.

Could it just be a dead battery or should we be looking for something else. Seems odd it started up without a whimper but them went totally dead.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
My cousin's 2010 Wing; He hasn't ridden in a while but we were going out for the afternoon. It fired right up and he pulled out of the garage then shut down to clean it up a bit until I got to his house. We went to leave and it was TOTALLY dead. No lights, nothing.

Could it just be a dead battery or should we be looking for something else. Seems odd it started up without a whimper but them went totally dead.
First thing to do is check the battery. I've had this problem with pickups, company equipment that sets for 3 months without using, and a 1500 Wing I took to the cars wash several years ago. All started fine, shut them off, tried to restart and dead.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight and have the battery tested.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My previous wing would do this off and on for a while. Finally determined it was the ground to frame. It would start fine several times in a row, then nothing. Let it sit for a couple hours or a day or some length of time and then it would start fine again. Made me not want to ride if I was going to have to stop anywhere because I didn't want to get stranded.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Check the main 30A and 50A fuzes as well. My 2008 did exactly the same thing one day after work. Fuzes looked fine but I replaced them and it fired right up. One of them must have had a hairline crack that I couldnt see. Now I carry a spare 30A and 50A in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
...Made me not want to ride if I was going to have to stop anywhere because I didn't want to get stranded.

Which brings me to my "Travel Rule #1: When in a remote area, Never, Ever, EVER turn off the engine"

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm sure you already have but, I would assume he didn't turn the key off and the battery died. Jump start it and take a long ride ending at the house. Then try to start it again.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Which brings me to my "Travel Rule #1: When in a remote area, Never, Ever, EVER turn off the engine"
For a geocacher, not gonna work.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He did a deep cycle charge on the battery and it fired up again. He plans to get a new one but I guess the battery must have been on the edge of dying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts