GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2004 1800 gold wing starter motor stays engaged can't shut engine off. when ignition switch turned off bike trys to go in to reverse.only way can shut off is remove bat. cable. do you know if starter relay switch a and b are the same other than the color of the connector? the first time relay b burned up now relay a was stuck and starter kept running till bat. cable was removed. taped on relay with wrench is working ok now but relay a is on back order. what do you think.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Wasn't both A and B relay replaced when B failed? Normally you replace both when one fails since they both see the same wear and tear.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
while your at it i would replace both starter solenoids

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Both relays/starter solenoids are the same, the only difference is the color of the connector. The "A" one sticking now probably hasn't done the "B" one any good as far as it's life expectancy. Which part number is backordered?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Pull out on the starter button. I have seen a rash of these lately on GL1800 2005 and older. The starter button gets gummed up and sticks in. Clean it out with Electronics Cleaner for now and then disassemble the starter switch and clean and lube properly.
Then you can start investigating the relays.
RogerB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts