GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, yesterday I rode about 10 miles (uneventfully) but as I turned into my driveway I heard my starter motor. It apparently had been running the whole 10 miles. I could not stop it by turning the kill switch or the ignition switch. so I disconnected the battery, which did the trick. Then to make sure it did not still have a start signal, I reconnected the battery and every thing looked ok. I didn't try anything else as the starter smelled terrible. Today I tried to start but the battery was dead, completly. So I put it on a trickle charger for the day, but still no charge. Any hints as to what I can check. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Sounds like your starter relay stuck on. Hope it didn't ruin the starter and battery. The relays are to the right of your battery as you look at the battery from that side of the bike.

Good Luck

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
happened to my 02 twice around 180,000 miles

after the second time Honda authorized replacing the entire switch cluster on the right handlebar, both starter solenoids and the relays

luckily in my case extended warranty covered it all

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bloodbought1

Thanks,BB, I think you nailed it, especially since my battery won't hold a charge. After this is done I'll take a few seconds every time to ensure the starter drops out. My wife is a Loretta'ite' so I may run into you sometimes when up that way.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Had the same problem with my 02 last june. I had an extended warranty and it was the starter relay A&B and was covered . The starter was toast also. I've had more warranty issues the last year than most 1800 riders, so thank God for the extended. The alternator engine noise, alternator, both switch clusters on habndlebars, starter and final drive, this is since June of 08. WOW,what else could go wrong and I hope that it happens before may of 2010.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Wheels had a similar failure. The starter was pretty much cooked.

I don't know if the common failure is the starter switch on the handlebar hanging up and not releasing, or if the starter relay contacts are welding. I know that the starter switch itself has been known not to release fully letting the headlights come back on, so that is a real possibility.

The starter solenoids are also suspect, though from the way they are wired, it looks like they would both have to fail to cause the starter to run.

You might also want to keep an eye on your alternator and voltage regulator, because when the starter is stuck engaged and the engine is running, the engine can actually turn the starter motor into a generator, which in turn can burn out your voltage regulator in your alternator. Once you get the starter fixed, make sure your voltage output from the alternator is staying around 14.2 volts or so with the engine running and a good battery installed.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
Only the "A" soleniod has to stick to cause this, but after prolonged running of the starter I would replace both solenoids also. For future reference, pulling the fuse labeled RVS Fuse "B" will kill the starter without disconnecting the battery as long as it hasn't welded the "B" solenoid.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Starter continues to run.

That's right, only relay "A" needs to stick to cause the starter to continue to run. Relay “A” and "B" are in series, so "A" must be closed in order for “B” to receive power. The relays are fairly inexpensive so it would be worth replacing both while you're working on the bike.

On the Gold Wing as with many other metric bikes the engine will not spin the starter if the relay sticks closed. The only way the engine could spin the starter and cause it to be a generator is if the starter clutch failed in the lockup position. This is highly unlikely with a sprag type starter clutch.
Also, there is a planetary gear reduction on the end of the starter so if this clutch lockup did occur and cause the engine to spin the starter, most likely the starter armature would be spun so fast that the windings would blow apart from centrifugal force and destroy the starter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts