GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the positioning of the starter button on the GL 1800, no doubt some of you have also accidentally touched it when planning to touch the 'decrease/set' button of the cruise control. I know I have done it twice.

Question: Is there any damage done to the starter motor (or to anything else??) after accidentally touching the button in this situation?? Perhaps the accidental touch (while going down the highway at 60 +/- mph) was just ignored?? Just how smart can those Honda engineers be??

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to engage when the engine is running. I don't know if this is fact or I just have never heard any grinding.

Welcome to the Madd House.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Same here, only one thing happens, it turns off your headlights. Remember when you had your kickstand down and have it in gear, then try to start it? That is all that happens when your running down the road (in gear, of course).

·
Registered
698 Posts
Same here, only one thing happens, it turns off your headlights. Remember when you had your kickstand down and have it in gear, then try to start it? That is all that happens when your running down the road (in gear, of course).
works great to signal those killer semi's thats it ok to come back into the lane...I Know...I Know...what the he!! you doing letting a semi go around you...not everyone is in a hurry to get to nowhere...:eek:4:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
With the positioning of the starter button on the GL 1800, no doubt some of you have also accidentally touched it when planning to touch the 'decrease/set' button of the cruise control. I know I have done it twice.

Question: Is there any damage done to the starter motor (or to anything else??) after accidentally touching the button in this situation?? Perhaps the accidental touch (while going down the highway at 60 +/- mph) was just ignored?? Just how smart can those Honda engineers be??
The only thing I have found that happens when you push this button wile your starter switch is not engaged is you blink your head lights at who ever is in front of you... :thumbup:

Ever wonder how the Goldwings are blinking their lights at you and you can't blink back? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

That's how! :yes1: :coffee1:

Don't know about all models because I don't have all models, but mine does...

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
WOW, it is a wave botton!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Wow, I had missed this point in the context of running down the road all these years. I like the idea of flashing the lights at the clump of steel in front of me.

Also this might be used to control my front gate if I included an IR emitter to my headlight circuit.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,219 Posts
Yep, it doesn't even energize the starter relays while in gear with the sidestand up, unless you pull in the clutch lever. Even then it would only spin the starter motor, it's sprag clutch wouldn't engage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts