GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started having problems with the starter reverse switch, I think. There are times it engages the starter or reverse ok and others where it needs to be partially depressed to make contact. How tough is replacement, can it be cleaned with contact spray or is it likely worn and spray would only be a temporary fix. Have others had this same problem? :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Rae, you didn't mention the year or model of your bike. This helps a lot when the board geniuses are trying to help you figure out an issue.
I'm not one of the geniuses, but I do know where the Holiday Inn is...

I have an '03, and I've had some intermittent start issues, kind of like you describe. On the older bikes, (see where knowing the year, and maybe mileage would help?) the switches do get dirty, and have problems. You can spray a good, no residue contact cleaner into the switch bodies and around the switches, and that might do it. Or, if you split the assmeblies off the handlebar, then spray around inside as well, that might help.
Your issue could also be a dirty relay. The relays are under the seat, you can unplug them, spray their sockets and pins. That might help. I've dopne both, and my troubles (well, that set anyway) went away. You can also move the relays into other sockets and see if the problem moves with a particular relay. All 4 pin relays are the same, as are all 5 pin relays.

Try to keep the contact spray off your paint. It probably won't damage it, but why take a chance?

Circle back with us and let us know if this or any of the other suggestions you are about to get help.

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts