GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 GL1800 ABS the starter spins but does not engage, opened the front inspection cover, motor is not turning. This started just after an oil change. Anyone have any idea?

·
Vendor
16,381 Posts
It’s mid 40’s and synthetic oil, so what do I do next?
For several reasons, synthetics do not do well in 5th gens. You might be experiencing one of them. Drain the oil and filter and install GN4 10w-40 oil. Push start it, and ride the piss out of it. The sprague gear is not oiled by pressure but gets it oil by splash. The curvier the road and the more aggressive you ride, the more oil splash.

The other common reason the starter will spin is when someone installs an aftermarket starter. Had you done that ???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed the oil with GN4 10/40, push started it road 150 miles on some of the curviest back roads.
Got back tested the backup witch worked fine, backed it into the garage, put it on the side stand let it run a minute, then shut it down and tried the starter and the same result starter spins without engaging. What is next to try or am I at the point of putting a new starter or drive gear?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Load test the battery!!! And Greg is a very funny guy. If your battery is weak, it is common for it to spin the starter and not supply any spark. Again, the first thing that you should have done is load test the battery.

Richard

·
Registered
700 Posts
Load test the battery!!! And Greg is a very funny guy. If your battery is weak, it is common for it to spin the starter and not supply any spark. Again, the first thing that you should have done is load test the battery.

Richard
He said "I have a 2005 GL1800 ABS the starter spins but does not engage, " so it would make one doubt it is the battery causing the problem.

·
Vendor
16,381 Posts

Richard
Not his complaint ... cranks but won't start.
His complaint ... starter spins, but it's not cranking the engine over, and once started, reverse works.

He's down to 3 possibilities:
  • starter issue of some sort
  • sprague gear not "catching" ... synthetics can cause that
  • sprague gear problem

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't understand how synthetic oil can cause the Sprague gear not to catch. The manual says the first thing to check besides voltage is starter clutch. I guess their word for Sprague gear. If that starter is not turning fast enough to force the gear to engage, then the motor won't turn over. The easy check I would do is jump start and see if the bike will start with another battery connected by a jumper. That would assist the bike's battery and give more voltage.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't understand how synthetic oil can cause the Sprague gear not to catch. The manual says the first thing to check besides voltage is starter clutch. I guess their word for Sprague gear. If that starter is not turning fast enough to force the gear to engage, then the motor won't turn over. The easy check I would do is jump start and see if the bike will start with another battery connected by a jumper. That would assist the bike's battery and give more voltage.
I once had a Honda that the starter did the same thing. The problem was the starter was sealed from the weather so well that it would build condensation inside. Using it would cause it to heat and develop condensation and eventually start rust to develop and cause the starter to turn to slow to start the motor or not turn at all. My father being a Chevy Mechanic his whole life helped me fix the problem. We removed the starter, cleaned it up like new and then he drilled a weep hole between the plates in the starter for it to breathe. I never had a problem after that. That was when I was 17 in 1966.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Sounds like a good plan, Dr. Let us know how it all works out.

·
Vendor
16,381 Posts
I pulled the starter, the gear on the end spins free the pin that’s supposed to hold it is sheared so I have ordered a new starter and we shall see if that fixes the problem.
Good find !!! Be sure to order an OEM Honda one ... most aftermarket ones only last days, weeks or months. All most all OEM ones last decades.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
When Gregg speaks: I would listen!! He know what he's talking about.....................(y)

Ronnie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts