GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help, I have an 06 wing that have been great,but this morning I went start it and nothing, I hit the starter button 5-6 times and it started just fine, went to work it sat five hours and same thing, drove ten miles shut it off and it started just fine. It has the original battery that load tested good in May, I guess I'm looking for a starting point, switch, starter I don't know.

John Kreuzer

·
Registered
58 Posts
I's start with the battery, Walmart has the GL1800 battery for around $50. If the battery is the original, it's lasted a heck of a long time. 6 years?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Is there a clicking noise under the seat when you hit the button? If there is no noise it COULD be the clutch switch, kick stand switch, kill switch, etc. Does it start in neutral? Check your battery voltage. If you hear a clicking under the seat it could be a starter relay.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I need some help, I have an 06 wing that have been great,but this morning I went start it and nothing, I hit the starter button 5-6 times and it started just fine, went to work it sat five hours and same thing, drove ten miles shut it off and it started just fine. It has the original battery that load tested good in May, I guess I'm looking for a starting point, switch, starter I don't know.

John Kreuzer
I think your looking at a dirty push button starter switch. You can buy some contact cleaner/lubricant from radio shack. You can't order it over the net from what I hear. You have to go to the store.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,377 Posts
When it wouldn't start, did you hear a click under the left side cover everytime you pushed the starter switch? If so, you may need to check the cables on the starter relays. If they are tight, then you may have a "A" starter relay going bad. The contacts arc and burn up and start making an intermittent connection. If you didn't hear a click everytime you pushed the switch, then try cleaning the contacts on it like earlier posted.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I think your looking at a dirty push button starter switch. You can buy some contact cleaner/lubricant from radio shack. You can't order it over the net from what I hear. You have to go to the store.
That's exactly it. I just had my starter switch replaced under warranty last week. Same thing happened. I was having to pull out the switch after I started for my headlights to come back on. The morning I was bringing it in to the dealer I had this starting issue - hit the switch a few times and it finally kicked in.

My original battery is still going strong! :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Starter Swicth

Thanks for all the suggestions, I started simple, a shot of WD-40 on the starter and on the reverse switches and it is working.

Thanks again John Kreuzer

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions, I started simple, a shot of WD-40 on the starter and on the reverse switches and it is working.

Thanks again John Kreuzer
Glad it is working o.k. for now. While that may be fine for now WD-40 has a history of collecting dirt and gumming up. Sooo, you might be addressing the same issue again.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
:fullsize:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts