GL1800Riders Forums banner

Starter wouldn't stop

649 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  techdude2000 
#1 ·
I was on a cross country trip MN-OR and had stopped many times but when I got to Oregon at a friends house ( Met 2 yrs ago sharing a camp site in Yosemite ) and my bike died ( wouldn't shut off starter stayed engaged) in their driveway. Pushed 30 feet to his shop and was looking for the starter and went on line and the YouTube mechanic said it was a common problem it was the 2 solenoid one for start and one for reverse . And where and how to access them. So 4 days later I had the parts in hand and fixed it right up. Thanks USA Honda Wala Wala Washington for next day shipping them.

#3 ·
Yes, it is a known issue. There is a sticky posted by Techdude2000 right above describing the issue.

#5 ·
I saw the sticky post too . I think it was how to stop the motor and not the problem. I removed the battery + and it stopped running and with the key in the run position and when touched to the positive terminal it would be running. The Honda parts # 35850-MZO-J10 and 35850-MCA-003 are the 2 solenoids you will need and they are behind the battery box and loosening the left side bag to get at them.

#4 ·
Sorry this happened to you...BUT and a giant BUT again, thanks for bringing this up to help any other of us folks, that may have it done to us....Good info too know here!

Ronnie

Reactions: Bill in MN
#6 ·
The starter Relay A transfers power from the battery to the starter Relay B, then to the starter motor.

When the electrical contacts in the starter Relay A "stick in the closed position", the starter motor continues to run (even with the ignition switch OFF).

You can disconnect the battery cable (should be done right away) OR sometimes banging on the starter relay A will result in breaking the electrical contacts free.

Then you need to replace the starter Relay A. It would be extremely rare to have an issue with the starter/reverse Relay B....!!!

99.9 % of the time, folks purchase the Relay B (which they don't need).

When the Relay A stuck on my friends 2000 Gold Wing the battery cable got soo hot that it melted part of the "positive" battery terminal. He needed a new battery and Relay A.

Fortunately the starter was not damaged....!!

#12 · (Edited)
I always recommend changing both, because they are both used while starting and backing up so their wear and tear is usually equal. If the B sticks, it won’t ruin your day, but it will stop reverse from working. Glad your starter wasn’t damaged. I don’t mention the relays in my sticky, because a sticking starter button switch can give you the same symptom as a welded A relay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.