GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 GL1800 will only start with the bike in neutral. I used to be able to start it in gear as long as I had the clutch disengaged. Anyone know what might have changed?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sidestand safety switch,clutch switch, one of them is not working properly..

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Did you by chance install new grips or recently adjust the clutch lever?

My 07 GL1800 will only start with the bike in neutral. I used to be able to start it in gear as long as I had the clutch disengaged. Anyone know what might have changed?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
vapor lock??:eek:4:Have you tried unscrewing the gas cap??

Sorry--couldnt resist!!!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,187 Posts
Check the sidestand switch first. Put the bike into reverse and back up, then put the sidestand down. The bike shouldn't back up. If this all works normal then check the clutch lever switches, one of them cancels the cruise and the other one is your possible culprit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Starts only in Neutral unless after being ridden

When cold, My 02 will only start in neutral. After riding for a while it starts in gear with clutch normally. Any ideas?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,187 Posts
This could be as simple as a defective switch on the clutch lever or the sidestand switch, but it could be the reverse regulator assembly or wiring as well. Switches don't usually care much about how long you've been riding, but everytime you change gears you are working the clutch lever switch and maybe it's contacts are just dirty enough to cause this when it sets a while. There's 2 switches up there, one is for the cruise control system to cancel, and the other one is possibly your culprit. The cruise switch has a yellow/black wire, you will be interested in the other switch. Pull both wires(black) off of the switch and short them together, if the bike starts in gear with the sidestand up, you've found your problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts