GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue is not so much starting as it is no power. I put in a new battery and the bike started fine. A couple days later the bike started, I turned it off and it would not re-start. I waited a while and it fire up the next time.

Later I had dash lights but as soon as I pressed the starter button all the electronics died. I did notice that when I turned the ignition key on there was a slight "whinning" noise like something was building up, maybe power in the relay? It did this a couple of times now when I turn on the ignition key there are is not even power to the dash or headlight.

The battery still shows 13 amps so I'm pretty sure the battery is ok. I looked at all the fuses and they appear alright.

I've scanned the forum for starting issues and will remove the battery and see if it holds 13 volts while off the bike. I eliminating issues like sidestand, reverse button and stuck switches because there are no lights which I believe would come on when the key is switched to on even if one of those other issues were present. Don't think it is a relay issue either again because there seems to be no power even for the lights.

HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
What kind of bike is it?

·
Registered
994 Posts
This issue is not so much starting as it is no power. I put in a new battery and the bike started fine. A couple days later the bike started, I turned it off and it would not re-start. I waited a while and it fire up the next time.

Later I had dash lights but as soon as I pressed the starter button all the electronics died. I did notice that when I turned the ignition key on there was a slight "whinning" noise like something was building up, maybe power in the relay? It did this a couple of times now when I turn on the ignition key there are is not even power to the dash or headlight.

The battery still shows 13 amps so I'm pretty sure the battery is ok. I looked at all the fuses and they appear alright.

I've scanned the forum for starting issues and will remove the battery and see if it holds 13 volts while off the bike. I eliminating issues like sidestand, reverse button and stuck switches because there are no lights which I believe would come on when the key is switched to on even if one of those other issues were present. Don't think it is a relay issue either again because there seems to be no power even for the lights.

HELP!!!!!
Sounds like a loose cable. Check your battery cables to make sure they are clean and tight.
The sound you hear is more than likely the fuel pump.
Good luck

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Be sure your battery posts are clean and tight and have your battery tested.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank everyone I'll recheck the battery connections and test the battery out of the bike and see if it holds the charge. For ALEXB, it is a 2005 GL1800.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Try very briefly Jumping the terminals on the Starter Relays... just lay a screwdriver across the terminals, one relay at a time (there's 2: "A & B", to the rear of the battery). Get ready for sparks.

If Jumpering does not work, then the battery is probably low, or the starter/circuit has a problem.

If the relay is bad, then you can still often get the bike started this way. If it turns over, but does not start, then it would be a Fuel or Ignition problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts