GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually if I start my bike after a long period of non use I get all kinds of nasty noises from the engine until the oil gets circulated. I don't like doing this.

For an engine that has been left unused for some time I like to turn it over with the starter without starting it (disabling the ignition or fuel feed). This allows the oil to circulate while the engine is under a minimum of stress (no combustion). I've done this on cars I've owned before. I had not figured out how to do this on the Wing until I read something posted by Stu Oltman several months ago. Today I tried his procedure.

I did the following:

1. Place the bike on the centre stand.
2. Put the transmission in neutral.
3. Open the throttle wide open AND KEEP IT THERE while turning the engine over.
4. Turn the engine over several times with the starter and allow some time between turn-overs to let the starter cool off.

It is absolutely critical that you keep the throttle wide open while you are turning the engine over. This ensures that the engine will NOT start. If you let off on the throttle while turning it over there is a good chance it will start and if you have it set at part throttle when it starts you could damage the engine.

I followed the procedure today. The engine didn't start. Oil circulated nicely. When I did start the engine there was absolutely no unusual mechanical noises from the engine. The procedure worked as advertised.....THANKS STU.

I warn all of you though that I do not guarantee that this procedure will work on your bike. Attempt it at your own risk. Also check with your owners manual regarding the maximum length of time you should turn the engine over and how long you should let the starter cool between turn-overs.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
If I wanted to turn over the engine without starting it, I don't believe I would use that method, you are putting a lot of raw fuel into the cylinders. I would remove the seat and unplug the fuel pump.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the fuel pump works it sure didn't pump any raw fuel into the cylinders because the bike started on the first turn of the engine when I did decide to start it. Also it ran very smoothly with no hiccups right from the start.

Use what ever method you want. This worked for me.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Holding the throttle wide open while cranking the engine does not dump any fuel into the cylinders as far as I know.
I believe I read in the owners manual that this procedure shuts off the injectors so you can clear a flooded engine.
Ralph Wenzl

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,347 Posts
rawen2 said:
Holding the throttle wide open while cranking the engine does not dump any fuel into the cylinders as far as I know.
I believe I read in the owners manual that this procedure shuts off the injectors so you can clear a flooded engine.
Ralph Wenzl
I concur, that's the whole reason for holding the throttle wide open, it makes the ECM turn off the fuel injectors. It tells you to do this when the engine is flooded on page 62 in the 05 owners manual. Most autos with fuel injection work the same way. :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've had some antique cars that sat for months without being started and I would pull the spark plugs and squirt a little 10w oil in the cylinder then spin it over a little. Put the plugs back in and start it up.
Mark

I

·
0 Posts
Cal-D said:
If I wanted to turn over the engine without starting it, I don't believe I would use that method, you are putting a lot of raw fuel into the cylinders. I would remove the seat and unplug the fuel pump.
You are NOT putting fuel in the cylinders by doing that. By using that method, the computer senses a WOT attempt to start, and shuts off the fuel injectors, and probably also the ignition.

That method of starting the bike after a long layup is exactly what I do and it works great. The oil pump picks up prime and lubes the engine before you fire it up.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
OMG! I was just thinking about using this method of starting my bike just this morning, (after read'n about here on this GL post last year ) So does it work or not? I have just read Yes and no's...My bike has sat (in my garage/ tires off floor, battery tender plugged, and cover'd over with blanket in since last November when I put her away for her long winter hibernation period... I have added stabilizer to the fuel, changed both oil/filter, replaced radiator fluid with 50/50 mixture..new front tire, air filter replaced....and now that March will be upon us in a week or so, I'm getting (like many of us) itchy to go for a ride very soon........

Ronnie

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,347 Posts
OMG! I was just thinking about using this method of starting my bike just this morning, (after read'n about here on this GL post last year ) So does it work or not? I have just read Yes and no's...My bike has sat (in my garage/ tires off floor, battery tender plugged, and cover'd over with blanket in since last November when I put her away for her long winter hibernation period... I have added stabilizer to the fuel, changed both oil/filter, replaced radiator fluid with 50/50 mixture..new front tire, air filter replaced....and now that March will be upon us in a week or so, I'm getting (like many of us) itchy to go for a ride very soon........

Ronnie
This is the best thing to do to the motor before starting it the first time after storage. WOT cuts off the fuel and allows the engine to spin and pump up the oil pressure without it starting. WOT is actually the procedure for clearing a flooded engine of most fuel injected and carbureted engines, it won’t hurt a thing to do it as long as you stop cranking before you release the throttle. :oops:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I wonder how long the OP lets his bike sit before starting the engine? I often let mine sit for six months and never hear strange sounds when it first starts. Of course the temperature at start up is usually in the upper seventies to mid eighties. I use Rotella 15W-40 dino oil.

As far as disabling the fuel pump, a switch could be wired into the circuit and placed in an inconspicuous place.

·
Vendor
16,026 Posts
You can also remove the PGM-FI fuse. It the one in the upper right corner. The PGM-FI fuse cuts power to the fuel pump and ignition system.

However, to me "sitting for sometime" means months. For that I would put it into storage, and bring to out of storage according to Honda's recommendations in the Owner's Manual. The path for that is Owner's Manual > index > storage > motorcycle > long term storage.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Ok yesterday morning, I went out and replaced all six spark plugs before starting (everything else was done before storage last fall/ read above post).......I tried this procedure, and I honestly have to say that it worked, after a few seconds of priming the engine (using above method) I hit the starter button, and she fired up immediately, w/o even a second hesitation... YEA! (y) and no noises were heard ...... I then took her for a short ride (approx 35 miles) on the highway, to get her totally warmed up ....and back into the garage.................. Yepp Peee Larry are you ready to ride??
Ronnie

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Ok yesterday morning, I went out and replaced all six spark plugs before starting (everything else was done before storage last fall/ read above post).......I tried this procedure, and I honestly have to say that it worked, after a few seconds of priming the engine (using above method) I hit the starter button, and she fired up immediately, w/o even a second hesitation... YEA! (y) and no noises were heard ...... I then took her for a short ride (approx 35 miles) on the highway, to get her totally warmed up ....and back into the garage.................. Yepp Peee Larry are you ready to ride??
Ronnie
O yea! Another suggestion here: I also let it idle till the fans came on, I understand that this gets the ECM back in sink (whatever that means..lol) but I can say that she did idle nice and smooth without that noise that "crossroads" mentioned above in his first post......YES it did work for me!

Ronnie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts