GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blessed with such via heredity, I am experiencing the early stages of arthritis in my hands. I'm not having any trouble riding, and at this point the discomfort is manageable with Ibuprofen, but looking back on my mother's experience I can see the future.

My options are to just get out of riding altogether, or switch to a safer option. A trike seems to strike that balance.

I've scanned the forums home page twice and do not see a trikes section. Have I overlooked it, or do I need to browse elsewhere to start reading?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Nevermind - I found it.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Blessed with such via heredity, I am experiencing the early stages of arthritis in my hands. I'm not having any trouble riding, and at this point the discomfort is manageable with Ibuprofen, but looking back on my mother's experience I can see the future.

My options are to just get out of riding altogether, or switch to a safer option. A trike seems to strike that balance.

I've scanned the forums home page twice and do not see a trikes section. Have I overlooked it, or do I need to browse elsewhere to start reading?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Nevermind - I found it.
No shame in a trike you are still enjoying the sport. Look around many options in the trike world Tilting motor works, you get to have you cake and eat it to... Just my opinion good luck what ever you do.
Joe

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I just triked out my "Blacky", (2010 Black Goldwing) and I will never look back......love it more and more every day....... You will not regret it... The first week it just my seen weird to to , cause it's a different type of ride, BUT once you get used to it, you'll be hugging "her" every day.......Roadsmith model for me was my choice...There are some many different brands, out there , just choose wisely..................

68 years young here....

Ronnie

·
Registered
519 Posts
You should be able to go down to the bottom of the home page to the 1800 sub forums. You will then see 1800 trikes forum that you can click onto. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
A great trike resource that I know several members here also use is https://www.triketalk.com/forum/
The forums have sections on just about all the major trike manufacturers that do GL1800 conversions as well as a Honda section that is mostly Goldwing trike conversion owners. There is also an section on outrigger style add ons that some have decided to go with as an alternative.

I do understand your hesitation but you really can have just as much enjoyment on 3 wheels as 2. They can glide through the twisties just as fast as those on 2 wheels. It's just a different experience but not a bad one.

Reactions: lgjhn

·
Registered
851 Posts
Geez, you really do not need an excuse. My wife and I have enjoyed our trike conversions four years and counting. We are both physically fit but just desired the ease of three wheels. We are able to ride longer in comfort, enjoy the stability of three wheels and don't get so annoyed in stop and go traffic. Now, that being said, I do own a Triumph Thunderbird that allows me to scrape the pegs now and then. Point is, don't delay. You'll love the ride once you get over the learning curve.:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Geez, you really do not need an excuse. My wife and I have enjoyed our trike conversions four years and counting. We are both physically fit but just desired the ease of three wheels. We are able to ride longer in comfort, enjoy the stability of three wheels and don't get so annoyed in stop and go traffic. Now, that being said, I do own a Triumph Thunderbird that allows me to scrape the pegs now and then. Point is, don't delay. You'll love the ride once you get over the learning curve.:thumbup:
The learning curve took me about a day.....and it was a fun day.
Probably the most important thing to remember is how wide the back end is.....especially at gas pumps!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I was reluctant too. Even bought a really nice sportscar in anticipation of "that dreaded day" when I would not be able to ride. Hip pain was ruining my fun too. But after I got my arthritic hip changed out for a new titanium one, my wife and I talked and decided we were not going to give up riding. So, we sold the sportscar and triked the wing. I miss leaning in the turns when I'm solo, but the trike is actually quite a bit better for two-up touring. Wouldn't mind having both.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm kinda sorta on that fence, too. When I got my GL1800 we triked our trusty old GL1500 for my wife. She now has some medical issues, nothing major, but it prohibits her from riding the trike as much as she had hoped. Rather than sell the trike, we've decided to keep it for now. I take it out for rides and have rode it to a couple rallies. I absolutely hated the way it rode at first, having put the first 130K miles on it as a two wheeler. But, given time and a few hundred miles, I've warmed up to it. I still love the sportiness of my 2010 GL1800, but I really enjoy riding the trike as well. It seems my favorite of the two is whichever I happen to be on a the time. There's no shame in being a "triker." No shame at all!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just a quick question. Is a trike more comfortable for the passenger, especially with bumps? My wife quit riding 3+ years ago because of bumps on the Wing hurt her neck and back. The roads are so smooth (haha) so it is really difficult to avoid bumps and divots in the road. I would like for her to ride, but not at the expense of her being in pain for weeks after a day of riding.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Just a quick question. Is a trike more comfortable for the passenger, especially with bumps? My wife quit riding 3+ years ago because of bumps on the Wing hurt her neck and back. The roads are so smooth (haha) so it is really difficult to avoid bumps and divots in the road. I would like for her to ride, but not at the expense of her being in pain for weeks after a day of riding.
I'm going to hate to "burst your bubble" here BUT NO the trike is not more comfortable then a two wheel'er, BECAUSE if ya miss that pot hole with your front wheel, your going to hit it with one of your rear wheels, "guarantee" .......(therefor bumpier).......... BUT never ever having to worry about falling over, or putting feet down, sure is nice... It's actually a rough'rr ride but actually more fun, then two wheels, in a weird way..........Now that I have a trike, I'll never go back to two wheels.........Plus the "cool factor" on three is way above riding on two. My opinion only here!!

Ronnie

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
In the wind and behind bars is all that matters . FYI I have test ride some really sweet riding trikes .

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
Nevermind - I found it.
Have you tried the new meds ??? Keep what you ride now, and go see a rheumatologist to have him prescribe a biological ... Enbrel, Consentics, Humira ... etc. The new meds really work.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm going to hate to "burst your bubble" here BUT NO the trike is not more comfortable then a two wheel'er, BECAUSE if ya miss that pot hole with your front wheel, your going to hit it with one of your rear wheels, "guarantee" .......(therefor bumpier).......... BUT never ever having to worry about falling over, or putting feet down, sure is nice... It's actually a rough'rr ride but actually more fun, then two wheels, in a weird way..........Now that I have a trike, I'll never go back to two wheels.........Plus the "cool factor" on three is way above riding on two. My opinion only here!!

Ronnie

Ronnie, your opinion is right on target, and that's my opinion. :grin2:

·
Registered
851 Posts
A trike with IRS is the only way to go. Makes all the difference absorbing pot holes and road irregularities. I totally disagree that a two wheeler is more comfy than a trike. Just not so. If you ever get the opportunity, ride a trike with IRS and one without. A world of difference. Also, a front end rake is also a must. Huge difference in handling. These findings are all scientific facts of course and not just my informed opinion. Anyone who disagrees just has no idea what their are talking about.

Just messing with you.
>:)

·
Registered
316 Posts

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Nevermind - I found it.
If I couldn't ride a bike, I would just skip trikes altogether and get a Miata.

That's just me though.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I don't know what trike kits others have, but my wife enjoys the ride on the trike much better than she ever did on the two-wheeled wing. She too was having back and neck issues. We have a CSC Cobra and the ride over bumps is way better.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Be careful if you go to the trike. I tried riding one 40yrs ago, although it was one of those ATVs that was later outlawed. I'm sure there is a learning curve, but if you've ridden on two wheels for years it may take a while. Dick Meyer was one of the highest mileage GL1800 riders ever. Don't remember the specifics, but he went to a trike and only lived a few months if that.
If you ride a trike it's a whole different set of skills. I'm set in my ways and know I would never adapt. Others do I'm sure. I'm never going there.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts