GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and have already gone with the Michelin CT run flat on the rear...love it so far.

I'm in NC and motorcycles must pass a yearly safety inspection done by a qualified inspector. I'm assuming a CT on the rear will cause it not to pass....an assumption on my part. For those states that have annual inspection requirements; what do most with a CT do....does the inspector pass them, do you swap it out before the inspection......At this moment I'm planning to replace the CT before the inspection is due. Pls share your experience......Thanks

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
You might find this LINK of interest. And THIS one. And this one. Looks to me like there is no legal issue, just the possibility of dealing with 'unusual' inspectors.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
As long as the tire is DOT approved for highway use and has sufficient tread there is no legal basis for disallowing a CT on the bike. There are many bikes that come with CT from the manufacturer, such as the Boss Hog bike.

If you get an inspector that tries to disallow it, ask them to show you in writing the basis for disallowing it. This question pops up from time to time, no negative comment directed to rasdes, he has a legitimate question. Now the Honda dealers and trying to get warranty work - now that's something different and varies from dealer to dealer.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Inspection

I can't help you with the Inspection question. I would like to WELCOME you to the forum, and say, you made a good choice in the Michelin for a rear tire. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Why not come to the Dark Side Ride-In this May in Franklin, NC? See the pinned thread.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Welcome to the board. No problems in Virginia with inspection, in fact I had a harder time convincing the tire shop to mount studded snow tires on my wife's Mustang. Had to fax them the statute before they would put them on.

To date no one has been able to come up with any legislation from any state that makes a DOT approved car tire on a motorcycle illegal.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Greetings from the Left Coast.

No problems with motorcycle inspections here in California.
(We don't have them).

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
No problem with the inspection here Heck the dealer also installs the car tire on for me.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Crash and burn!! Crash and burn!! Crash and burn!! Crash and burn!! :joke:

Oh, wait...that wasn't the question, was it? Sorry...

Nope, no scoot inspections here in Ahia, either... And welcome to the Nut House!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have brought my bike to the dealer a couple of times for some minor work and they didn't notice the CT tire on the rear. I bet all there looking for is tire conditions and wear. No inspections here in Florida

·
Registered
502 Posts
Why take it off before you go through ? Give it a shot and see what happens I would NOT say a work about the c/t on the back. No motorcycle inspections here in NJ.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Im in NC and I take mine down to my local repair shop where I take all my vehicles and never had an issue. As someone else mentioned, it's a DOT approved Tire. As long as the tread depth passes, your good!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts