GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the WOTS/RRI get together, I overheard some people talking about how the cops in NJ will write you up for having too many lights on your bike (ring-of-fire, etc.). I also overheard that NY cops know the difference between DOT and costume helmets and that they will ticket you for wearing a non-DOT helmet.

This got me to wondering. Are there any laws like this in your state? I'm not talking about old blue laws (like not eating ice-cream on Sunday's), but things that cops will really ticket you for.

Might be a good info for have as we travel.

·
Registered
472 Posts
A ring of fire, on the front, unless it is amber IS illegal. Any color other than white or amber, that can be seen from the front of the vehicle is illegal.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Just remember the police don't make the rules, they just enforce them. State lawmakers are the ones who make up a lot of the so called stupid laws. They can make a ferdal law better, more rigid, but they can't make a federal law weaker.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Goldwingfreak said:
A ring of fire, on the front, unless it is amber IS illegal. Any color other than white or amber, that can be seen from the front of the vehicle is illegal.
Maybe where you're at, but in KY lights on front only Illegal if they flash on/off, lot od kids running the grenn or blue washer lights.....

I think attitude get people in the most trouble...just my.02

·
Registered
598 Posts
Washington state requires any lights visible from the front of the vehicle be white or amber in color (exceptions for emergency vehicles, tow vehicles, etc).

By the way Wi_Winger,

It's a new millenium.....It's lattes and bagles now, not coffee and dounuts :lol:

Paul H.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Had a couple friends pulled over here in Michigan, told to get rid of the blue colored lights or they will be ticketed. Law enforcement gets blue lights, nobody else.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
as I posted in a differant thread, NYS troopers have orders to NOT negociate with motorists. If you get pulled over for speeding at 80 MPH, that will be your ticket.

In the past, the cop might reduce it to 75MPH or ( in my case ) change the speeding charge to "disobeying a traffic device".

As far as brain buckets go (& as far as I know) bikers will NOT be pulled over simply because of there helmet. If you get pulled over for something else, like speeding or disobeying a traffic device, the cops will look for "other things"

I think the reason for the new "policy" is that the NYS troopers just got through spending 6 weeks looking for an escaped convic. The troopers had EVERY available man looking for *Bucky Philips* and they have a HUGE budget problem because of all the overtime and equipment they used looking for this goof ball.

I just went to Otis, Ma for the weekend and I have been travaling up and down the NYS thruway for 30 years and I have never seen as many troopers as I have last weekend. I went through one radar trap at 75MPH ( the limit is 65 ) with about 20 other cars all going 'about' the same speed, I looked in my mirror and the last guy in line got pulled over :cry:

Becarefull out there kids. I think it maybe time to get hooked up with a radar detector :wink: :roll:

·
Registered
19,324 Posts
Cops in Texas can now give a ticket(non moving violation;law 123 AhAh.6)
for excessive chrome display. The law reads-

"any bike exibiting excessive chrome not designed by the manufacturer that the said officer feels becomes a attraction to the point of causing glares or reflection from the sun can be stopped and ticketed." It goes on to say"if the chrome is tarnished,cracked or peeling"that officer at his/her discretion can"rip off the tarnished chrome"to make the bike look better and not cause a distractment to the law abiding citizens."

LIMNCS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts