GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I have a problem or not... :roll:

I got my little adapter from Lewis yesterday which allows me to plug my E3c's into the bikes 5-pin socket. I tried it today on my daily Lovebug smashing mission with mixed results that can either be attributed to the adapter plug or the bike system.

There was a fair amount of static as well as RPM related alternator whine in my ear plugs; even with the volume turned to Zero!

This is with the radio selected as the source. No external items plugged into the AUX port or 12V AUX plug. Also the cruise contron seemed to make no difference in the interference level.

The static/whine did get worse when I selected the I-Com which I thought was interesting since I have no microphone connected...

Is this noise normal? There is no noise when playing the radio through the bikes' speakers, so why when played through the headset?

Is this one of those "Just consider the whole package and deal with it" kind of things, or do I call the dealer?

Thanks!!!

Stay Safe,

Lance

I

·
0 Posts
Doesn't sound "normal" to me. My 02 has no noise in any of the audio system functions.

I did install a Kennnedy ground loop isolator in the AUX input circuit because there was a bit of alternator whine in my Lowrance iWay 500 MP3 player. Now all is quiet.

Good luck...Ride safe.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wasn't there a post earlier about a known headset whine on air bag bikes due to the reloacation of the radio picking up more interference? I didn't try searching for it, but someone said it was an issue that Honda acknowledges is a problem. I would ask your dealer to check on it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I had noise after I got my EdSets. Wasn't present with J&M or Chatterbox. Didn't realize what it was at first and thought my tranny was going bad. Turned off the headset and it was gone. Got the ground loop isolator and noise filter from EC and all is quiet now. I would have bought Kennedy's but they were many weeks out. Their connectors are the same as OEM. EC uses a phone plug. So if you have an extended aux cable with factory ends, it won't work.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
dansgl1800 said:
Wasn't there a post earlier about a known headset whine on air bag bikes due to the reloacation of the radio picking up more interference? I didn't try searching for it, but someone said it was an issue that Honda acknowledges is a problem. I would ask your dealer to check on it.
Here is the thread regarding the air bag and icom problems...

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=67527

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link, Jerry

My problem definitely seems related, although not exactly the same... I'm not plugging anything in the pax jack and the noise is not there when playing the radio through the speakers; only through the bikes' sound system.

It's not horribly loud, but it is detectable during soft passages or between songs. It does bother me enough to go back to Autocom if the dealer says "They all do that" :D

I guess I'll call the dealer today...

Thanks again,

Stay safe,

Lance

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Try this. I use ear monitors also. Get an in line volume control from Radio Shack, less than ten dollars. Plug it between your ear monitors and the jack. Turn the bike's radio volume up almost all the way, then adjust it back down to comfortable level with the in line contol. If it works like mine, the noise will be gone, or at least barely noticeable.

Edit:

The link is acting wierd but any RS store will have one. Mine was 6 dollars.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Jerry

Definitely worth a try! I'm off to RS.

Lance

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jerry, you are a GUINNESS (no wait, that's a beer)

Jerry, you are a GENIUS!!

I bought this one: Gold-Plated Volume Control Cable for Stereo Headphones

$7.99: Model: 42-2559

Like you said: plugged 'em in with volume all the way down and then turned up the VC on the pigtail until the hiss disappeared. Then turn the bike volume up.

Works fantastic; best $8.00 I ever spent (six packs of Newcastle excepted).

Thanks again,

Lance

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Glad it works, but I can't take credit, I got the idea from this or some other forum a long time ago. There is no new knowledge, just old knowledge recycled. :lol:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear ya,

My Dad used to say "Nothing new in the world. Just the same things happening to different people"...

I miss that guy.

Stay safe,

Lance

1 - 11 of 11 Posts