GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting June 28th I have a hotel in Pigeon Forge for four days-one of which will be used for Dollywood. So I have 3 days to ride the Smoky Mountains. I was going to take the Cherohala/Dragon 120 mile loop and maybe head down the BRP for a couple hundred miles or so. The idea is to be back at our hotel at the end of each days ride. If you know the area can you give me a route for a one day ride down the Parkway and back to Pigeon Forge? Is the 120 mile loop which includes the Dragon worth taking? Any other scenic rides I should'nt miss? I heard good things about hwy 276. Thanks for your ideas.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
From Deals Gap store, take Rt 28 south through Franklin to Highlands. Stop at Bridal Veil Falls on the way.

Also check out Wayah Road. Get a Mad Maps of the Smokys. They have suggested routes to ride also.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
ridews

foot hills parkway, is a great ride.
cherohalla skyway is another good ride.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Go through Gatlinburg and take 73 out to Cades Cove( follows river and is nice cool ride-- go late evening around the Cove ride and you"ll probably see some bears, deer, and turkeys

The best ride we went on the week before Memorial Day was the short ride on hwy 32. Go out of Gatlinburg on 321 until you tee into 32. Ride til you get to the chat then return on the same road to Cosby and take 339 back to Seveirville. 32 is by far better to me than the Dragon. JMHO

·
Registered
73 Posts
Go over the mountains to Dillard, Ga. Get a bite to eat at the Dillard House. Mad Maps has a route around there that is really nice. Sorry, don't remember the road numbers.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Starting June 28th I have a hotel in Pigeon Forge for four days-one of which will be used for Dollywood. So I have 3 days to ride the Smoky Mountains. I was going to take the Cherohala/Dragon 120 mile loop and maybe head down the BRP for a couple hundred miles or so. The idea is to be back at our hotel at the end of each days ride. If you know the area can you give me a route for a one day ride down the Parkway and back to Pigeon Forge? Is the 120 mile loop which includes the Dragon worth taking? Any other scenic rides I should'nt miss? I heard good things about hwy 276. Thanks for your ideas.
I've ridden this area a lot, like others. I would definitely do 276 out of Waynesville... my favorite road there. I think you would enjoy all you mention above.

Cade's Cove... a consideration if you want to see some possible wildlife, etc. But a slow ride, esp. if there are a lot of tourist there. I've done it several times years ago, in a car, when I was in college at UT. I never saw anything other than deer. If I had three days to ride the area, it's one place I'd avoid... too many cars and tourist. It's a one way loop and once you're in it, there is no way to get out until you are done.

It's just a matter of what you want to see. My experience is that if you want to ride a lot, avoid the Park altogether... lots of cars, cars, and RV's... nothing but slow riding. Go for the roads outside the park...

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
999 Posts
US 421 from Boone, NC to Bristol TN/VA

·
Registered
236 Posts
My favorite ride in that area so far was to take Foothills Pkwy to the Dragon, then take 28 (used to call it the Hellbender, but now call it the Moonshiner 28) all the way to Walhalla, SC. From there we just took the directions from the GPS to get us back to where we were staying. Lots of great photo ops on the 28, and some pretty technical areas squeezed in between the casual sweepers.

I agree on avoiding Cades Cove. We were there in August and did the scenic loop. We did see a bear, but the speed of traffic had us on the verge of overheating constantly for the whole trip.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I was in PForge in April and took 2 lane roads up to Cumberland Gap Historic area. Good roads and senic upon on the mountain

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
When you come to the fork in the road, take it. :shock:

There are very few bad roads in that area. Both times we have been there, we just turned right or left if we saw an interesting road, and were never disappointed. It is motorcycle nirvana.

Mny people like the Cherohala Skyway and it has some nice views. But we found many roads that were much more fun to ride. I couldn't name them because it wasn't planned.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
You might enjoy taking 441 over the mountain to Cherokee. About an hours ride. (Just before you get to Cherokee there is an old homestead that you can tour) It will be on the left.

If you do this, I would take the bypass around Gatlinburg. (Traffic is awful and it is just a town full of Souvenir Shops)

A little further south on 441 toward Cherokee is the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway. You could ride up and back on it, or get off, and loop back toward Cherokee on Hwy 23 which is 4 lane.

Unto These Hills is an outdoor theatre in Cherokee and they have a play about the History of The Cherokee indians. Well worth seing if you have time.

No shortage of things to see, and great riding country.

Hope you enjoy the trip. :thumbup: Ride safe.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,684 Posts
Several routes in the area were suggested in this thread.

Ride safely.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pretty much just PIC-A-ROAD up there. I haven't been down any in that area, that I didn't enjoy the ride. Who knows, you might find a new "hot spot". Not saying that I know 'em all, but I will, and have, just made a turn to see where it goes. Beautiful country.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone for all the great ideas. Seems like most ride ideas are roads other then the BRP-is it worth running down it for a bit? Thanks again.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
The BRP is a great road! If you have never ridden on it, you should do it at least once.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Thank you everyone for all the great ideas. Seems like most ride ideas are roads other then the BRP-is it worth running down it for a bit? Thanks again.
Definitely worth it! From Pigeon Forge, I'd recommend 441 across the park to Cherokee (use the Gatlinburg bypass as another poster has suggested), then the BRP to Asheville. This 70 mile or so section of the BRP has the most dramatic views. If you have enough time, continue on the BRP to Mt. Mitchell. Depending on stops (there are lots of overlooks and a few nice hiking areas), this will eat up a good portion of the day.

Then, if you run short of time, you can always hot foot it back towards PF on I-40, which is actually quite scenic in itself.

Enjoy! We'll be back down in that area a week ahead of you.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Another really nice ride is Highway 215 from Waynesville to Hwy 64 at Rosman, Hwy 64 to Brevard, then back on 276 towards Waynesville. You will cross over the Parkway twice on this loop. You'll see a few waterfalls along the way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts