GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the forks have to come out, or will the top plate come off with the forks in place?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
You can get the top plate off, no need to pull the forks... leave the lower clamps tight...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sterring bearings

Thanks!!!! it did come out that way

I would guess that the lock nut and the adjuster nut should be slightly more that finger tight tho:eek:4: methinks the all balls loosed up a bit

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
MILLISEC, -----wrote, " lock nut and the adjuster nut "-----

Sir, you do understand that there is no contact between

the two special nuts; other than the keeper (lock).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MILLISEC, -----wrote, " lock nut and the adjuster nut "-----

Sir, you do understand that there is no contact between

the two special nuts; other than the keeper (lock).

Sir? Sir? what did I do to piss you off LOL (joke)

Yup.......what I meant was, after I bent the tabs down, I took the lock nut off with my fingers, it was not EVEN tight......the adjuster nut turned a good 1/4 turn or better before the torque wrench clicked at 26 ftlbs ...so it was loose too:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
MILLISEC, ---"it was not EVEN tight".

Yes, It is not tight. Finger tight only. So as to not pass pressure

to the adjusted nut. SIR, SIR, SIR.:twisted:

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Sir? Sir? what did I do to piss you off LOL (joke)

Yup.......what I meant was, after I bent the tabs down, I took the lock nut off with my fingers, it was not EVEN tight......the adjuster nut turned a good 1/4 turn or better before the torque wrench clicked at 26 ftlbs ...so it was loose too:thumbup:
It's no uncommon to find the lock ring loose, and it really doesn't need to be tight. It acts as a jam nut and also acts to relieve some of the down force from the top nut. If you read the service manual, I believe you will find it tells you to finger tighten the nut, and then turn it just enough more to get the next set of notches to line up with the tabs on the locking washer.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's no uncommon to find the lock ring loose, and it really doesn't need to be tight. It acts as a jam nut and also acts to relieve some of the down force from the top nut. If you read the service manual, I believe you will find it tells you to finger tighten the nut, and then turn it just enough more to get the next set of notches to line up with the tabs on the locking washer.

Thanks Fred.......after reading all the replies I went out to the shop and properly punished myself!:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts