GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while , while riding my bike , (2002 with 10,000 miles, don't pick on ME about the mileage, i bought it 4 months ago with 5,000 miles :lol: :lol: ) the steering feels "stiff" like something is binding up . Sometimes i feel it in parking lot situations , slow speed stuff, sometimes it seems like i can feel it while riding down the road. I cannot "make it happen" and when i stop to see if i can feel anything it seems normal. Put it up on the center stand and have someone pull down on the back of the bike while i turn the bars back and forth , can't feel anything.
Now for the confusing , or just strictly coincidental part . I never noticed this befor i installed the REG riser bar relocators.
Because of all the things i have read on this board about potential wire pinching problems etc.with installing the risers , i was particularlly carfull
with the install. Nothing seems to bind at all. even at full lock . Also it doesn't seem likely that any thing would bind enough to feel it while riding on the street,as you are barely turning the bars at all.
Is it possible that while torqueing down the bars , bar risers, that something was distorted?
Whats the possibility of (and the only thing that makes sense????) of the steering stem bearings being the problem , and if so , why only sometimes ? Might ride for a couple hundred miles with out feeling the bind , then only for a little bit and it is ok for the rest of the day . :shock: :shock: :shock:
Joe.

·
Registered
939 Posts
skip h said:
Steering head bearings probably need replaced.
I doubt that the steering head bearings need replacing at 10,000 miles. I would check to see if any of the wires or cables are binding that go from the handlebars to the frame.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ironbutt Ken said:
[quote="skip h":10a43jac]Steering head bearings probably need replaced.
I doubt that the steering head bearings need replacing at 10,000 miles. I would check to see if any of the wires or cables are binding that go from the handlebars to the frame.[/quote:10a43jac]
I've noticed that on both the demo Wing and my new Wing, I hear a rubbing sound from at the top of the forks time to time when turning at parking lot speed.

·
Registered
605 Posts
This is probably not the case with your bike, but I had the same problem and discovered it was the front fender extension. I had evidently hit something and broke one side away from the fastener which allowed it to ride up on top of the lower cowl. I almost bought the farm

The circumstances you mention are almost the same. It would come and go as the front forks moved up and down.

Ride Safe
Dick

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Sounds like you have a cable that gets caught occassionally.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Check the air in your front tire, Then pump it up to 40 pounds or so, Probably fix it.

JMHO 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts