GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the Fort Worth area that can do the bearing install on my 02? Have the bearings from Hal, but not too savy on the mechanical part. Hate to give the local Honda dealer my right arm!! Call or email me. Will pay in $$ or beer!!

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
If I could find someone around here to check and replace mine under the same deal, I would. I think I need to be shown how to at least one time.

How many miles do you have on your wing?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Steering bearings

You should watch the DVD's from Fred Harmon...he shows you hot to do it and you will need to freeze the races and bearings and the stem assembly to get the parts to "shrink" from the cold so they will go in easier.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,554 Posts
Re: Steering bearings

Baron said:
You should watch the DVD's from Fred Harmon...he shows you hot to do it and you will need to freeze the races and bearings and the stem assembly to get the parts to "shrink" from the cold so they will go in easier.

Good Luck
You don't need to freeze the races to install them. I have done a few All Balls steering bearing installs by freezing the races in my freezer, and I have done a few without freezing the races and I have found no difference in installing the races in the bike frame or the steering stem. Both ways the races just tapped in easily. I don't believe that by putting the races in your kichen freezer that they get cold enough to make much of a difference as a kichen freezer doesn't get cold enough. You would have to put the races in some dry ice to shrink the races enough for then to just drop in. Not worth the effort as they install easily at room temps.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
try Buckskin, he often has an ad in the classifieds for chrome wheels, i think he has done more than 30 sets of All Balls

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whats this bearing problem?

I recently posted in regards to my front wheel shaking if I hold the handlebars loosley as I de-celerate from 60 down to about 40mph. My local Honda dealership kept the bike a week and said I need Taper bearings. People posted me back saying its probabley my original equipment front tire Bridgestone that was dis-continued. Its a 2001 Wing with 6000 miles on it. Is this the same problem as your talking about?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yes it is. Save your money and keep you hands on the handlebars. You don't ride enough for it to be much of an issue.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just did mine during Labor Day weekend using Cycledude's steering stem socket and Fred's DVD

During the disassembly, I was be able to open the big nut on top of the triple tree (the one that need to be tighten at 76 ft-lb) with my bare hand. It was scrary, and I am glad I did the change. It would explain the wobble I 've been having.

My bike is 2005, and I am the 1st owner, and that nut has never been touched since manufacture.

After I finished assemble the tappered bearings, it takes great effort on the torque wrench to tight that nut. Bike run great now without wobble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts