GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would pass along my experiences in the hopes that it may help someone else.

I've been using edsets for a couple of months now and love them... however... :D

I decided to try Ed's earphone adapter and custom earphones from Now Hear This... http://plugup.com after I discovered that I could eliminate almost all of the wind noise in my Vega Summit II XPV Modular helmet using earplugs and a helmet liner.

Wow :!: :eek: :!: :eek: :!: :eek: What a difference. I ususally have to have my volume set at about 12 around town. Now I have it at 2-3!!! I haven't had a chance to test at highway speeds but if the ratio is the same it will be a big difference.

To be absolutely honest, I have very sensitive hearing and I will tell you that I am getting some very slight engine noise in the earplugs. I guess I will have to get a filter to deal with that, but it's not really all that noticeable. :)

I decided to try the custom earphones because I always wear earplugs anyway and because standard earplugs start to hurt my ears after about an hour or so.

I'm very happy now - the custom fit makes all the difference. I now have the best of both worlds. If my earphones quit working, I still have the speakers in my helmet ready to be plugged in. (That's another nice thing about the Edsets...they're modular.) :yes1:

But, I don't know if I'll go back to speakers after the custom earphone experience - it's that good. :1st:

Thanks to Ed at Edsets and Maria Navia at Now Hear This... :bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
51 Posts
check state laws before traveling, it is illegal in some states to use earplugs

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
kajunwing said:
They Ain't Gonna Know with your hat on.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
kajunwing said:
Are you sure?

I've never seen the law, just heard the rumors. When I asked a highway patrolman his response was, "We let deaf people drive, don't we?"

I'm not trying to be a smart alec. I just want to see the law. It really wouldn't surprise me though, we've got some really silly laws on the books.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Rasty,

In NY, you can only have one device in one ear while operating a motor vehicle. That's the law:

I have seen kids in hoopty mobiles get tickets for having a full set of head phones on their heads while driving crazily down the road. (the kids provided the probable cause)

I have never seen, nor heard of a motorcyclist getting a ticket for wearing headsets in their helmets.

I was a "five - 0" in the Sheriff's dept for a good amount of years and never heard any discussion about motorcyclists and headsets either.

I wear headsets 100% of the time on my Wing.

Dawg

Bulldog

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
If those laws are in existance, would they be enforced for a cycle rider - and what would the the odds on getting caught - even if you are stopped you simply make sure teh devices come off with your helmet and then who is to say the speaker were in your ears or not. Then, what judge or magistrate would rule against you? And, conventional head sets like Edsets would also be verboden. I purchased some nice insert phones for resale in my audiology practice and the damn thing came with a bold wrning not to use them in a motor vehicle - I sent them back to the distributer with a nasy note.

prs

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
jamcgowan said:
Just thought I would pass along my experiences in the hopes that it may help someone else.

I've been using edsets for a couple of months now and love them... however... :D

I decided to try Ed's earphone adapter and custom earphones from Now Hear This... http://plugup.com after I discovered that I could eliminate almost all of the wind noise in my Vega Summit II XPV Modular helmet using earplugs and a helmet liner.

Wow :!: :eek: :!: :eek: :!: :eek: What a difference. I ususally have to have my volume set at about 12 around town. Now I have it at 2-3!!! I haven't had a chance to test at highway speeds but if the ratio is the same it will be a big difference.

To be absolutely honest, I have very sensitive hearing and I will tell you that I am getting some very slight engine noise in the earplugs. I guess I will have to get a filter to deal with that, but it's not really all that noticeable. :)

I decided to try the custom earphones because I always wear earplugs anyway and because standard earplugs start to hurt my ears after about an hour or so.

I'm very happy now - the custom fit makes all the difference. I now have the best of both worlds. If my earphones quit working, I still have the speakers in my helmet ready to be plugged in. (That's another nice thing about the Edsets...they're modular.) :yes1:

But, I don't know if I'll go back to speakers after the custom earphone experience - it's that good. :1st:

Before you get a filter, try this. Get an in line volume controller at Radio Shack for about 7 dollars, plug into your Ed's earphone adapter. Turn the bike volume up almost all the way. Then turn it back down with the in line controller to a comfortable level. If it is like mine, the noise goes away. You will have to play around with your IC volume a little more to get it set right.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
azjerry said:
jamcgowan said:

Before you get a filter, try this. Get an in line volume controller at Radio Shack for about 7 dollars, plug into your Ed's earphone adapter. Turn the bike volume up almost all the way. Then turn it back down with the in line controller to a comfortable level. If it is like mine, the noise goes away. You will have to play around with your IC volume a little more to get it set right.
Thanks! I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My comment was directed towards earplugs only, not headsets. I am sure that there are ways of circumventing the law by omission, hiding of equipment, and out right lying, none of which I can advocate nor would I be able to sleep at night having done. I choose not to carry a handgun because of the laws in certain states, although the laws in mine allow it. Only point I was attempting to make are that the laws vary by state, know them, ABIDE by them, and you will have no trouble on the road.

this website may useful and informitive http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws ... p?state=md

Example of Florida law:
316.304 Wearing of headsets.
(1) No person shall operate a vehicle while wearing a headset, headphone, or other listening device, other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing.
(2) This section does not apply to:
(a) Any law enforcement officer equipped with any communication device necessary in performing his or her assigned duties or to any emergency vehicle operator equipped with any ear protection device.
(b) Any applicant for a license to operate a motorcycle while taking the examination required by s. 322.12(5).
(c) Any person operating a motorcycle who is using a headset that is installed in a helmet and worn so as to prevent the speakers from making direct contact with the user's ears so that the user can hear surrounding sounds. (not earplugs)
(d) Any person using a headset in conjunction with a cellular telephone that only provides sound through one ear and allows surrounding sounds to be heard with the other ear.
(e) Any person using a headset in conjunction with communicating with the central base operation that only provides sound through one ear and allows surrounding sounds to be heard with the other ear.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kajunwing said:
My comment was directed towards earplugs only, not headsets. I am sure that there are ways of circumventing the law by omission, hiding of equipment, and out right lying, none of which I can advocate nor would I be able to sleep at night having done. I choose not to carry a handgun because of the laws in certain states, although the laws in mine allow it. Only point I was attempting to make are that the laws vary by state, know them, ABIDE by them, and you will have no trouble on the road.

this website may useful and informitive http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws ... p?state=md
I certainly do not advocate breaking any laws. That said, let me also say that IMHO these laws need to be re-evaluated in the light of current technological advancements in the field of audiology.

I have discovered that I actually hear ambient sounds (like sirens and my GL1800 engine) better when wearing my custom earphones than without them because they block out the constant deafening wind noise that comes from the buffeting I get on my bike. I have yet to experience any impairment in awareness by using them.

As a side note, after working as a flight instructor in many, many, small airplanes, I am sold on protecting my hearing. In fact, I make it a point to demonstrate to my students just how important this is. I let them use my spare headset and after about 30 min. in the air, I make them take it off. I should have taken out stock in the headset companies because that little drill has sold more headsets than any amout of discusion I have had about it. :D In fact, what I discovered on my GL1800 using custom earphones is also true when using a noise attenuating headset in light aircraft, I am actually able to hear ambient sounds much better.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but I am getting more and more confused with trying to understand the terminology I see being written on this topic. Would someone PU LEEZ try to help me get unconfoozed by splaning if there is any difference between

headsets
headphones
earphones
etc

Thanks a bunch. Sometimes I wonder if I was born confused. :roll: :?

Todd

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Headsets = Speakers for your ears and a microphone to talk with.
Headphones = Speakers that cover your ears.
Earplugs = Speakers that go inside your ears.

You can have a headset with earplugs or headphones.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Rastoff said:
kajunwing said:
Are you sure?

I've never seen the law, just heard the rumors. When I asked a highway patrolman his response was, "We let deaf people drive, don't we?"

I'm not trying to be a smart alec. I just want to see the law. It really wouldn't surprise me though, we've got some really silly laws on the books.
I got a ticket for using headphones in my car. The ******* said to remove one side so I can hear traffic and please sign here.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Ras, thanks very much for taking the time to explain. I was "kind of" on track. At least I better understand now. I appreciate it. :D

Todd

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rastoff said:
Headsets = Speakers for your ears and a microphone to talk with.
Headphones = Speakers that cover your ears.
Earplugs = Speakers that go inside your ears.

You can have a headset with earplugs or headphones.
Actually, earplugs are different from earphones. Earplugs do not have speakers in them, earphones do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wireless

:lol:
Does anybody now where to get a wireless unit that plugs in to the intercom system? I would like that very much.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
jamcgowan said:
Actually, earplugs are different from earphones. Earplugs do not have speakers in them, earphones do.
Jim, that's a very good point of clarification. Thanks. No wonder I was "hearing" some confusion. :lol:

Let me see if I've got this now.

1- headsets = speakers (probably do not fit "in" the ear) and a mic

2- headphones/earphones = speakers that may fit over or into the ears

3- earplugs = they plug into the ears canal w/no speakers

Todd

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
jamcgowan said:
OK, if they don't have speakers, how do they make sound? No matter how it's done, isn't the sound reproduction like a speaker and therefore this is just an exercise in semantics?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ras, when I was in the Air Force anytime I was working on the flightline around the F4's I wore EARPLUGS in my ears and the "Mickey Mouse" ear muffs to protect my hearing. Not trying to be a smart a$$. Earplugs are exactly what the word says, they plug the ear canal to block/attenuate the sound(s).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts