GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...the two of you are currently experiencing Arizona's "dry" heat as opposed to the sultry, midwest "wet" heat.
Any idea when the cee-ment pond will be put in? 0:)

Just curious, have you purchased your official Arizona oven mitt driving gloves, as yet? You know, after you return to your car after leaving it sitting in the afternoon sun for say, oh, 3 minutes? >:)

It's all good, because in just a few, short weeks your former neighbors will be putting away their lawn mowers for their snow blowers. While they are suffering from thermal shock in late October, our riding season will have just begun...and continue through June!

- David

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Don’t forget the Arizona delicacies know as “dashboard delights”! Just leave your favorite dish up on the dashboard while you’re parked at the mall and in 30 minutes or less it’s cooked to perfection and ready to enjoy! ?

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
USED TO WORK ON THE DOCKS IN WINTER IN OHIO WHEN YOUNGER AND RAN A FORKLIFT WOULD WRAP OUR LUNCH IN FOIL AND PUT ON EXHAUST MANIFOLD , IN ABOUT 20 MINUTES WAS TIME TO EAT . HOTTEST I'VE RIDDEN IN WAS IN AZ IN OATMAN WAS 116 MOST OF THE RIDE . BEING DRY HEAT ONLY FELT LIKE 115 SO WASNT SO BAD ! :surprise:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Don’t forget the Arizona delicacies know as “dashboard delights”! Just leave your favorite dish up on the dashboard while you’re parked at the mall and in 30 minutes or less it’s cooked to perfection and ready to enjoy! ?
A stainless steel tray with a lid was sold for snowmobiling that allowed some hotdogs to be secured inside, while you ride. Then cooked to perfection when you stopped along the trial somewhere. Great idea, except for the exhaust smell on them. Threw them on the ground and went to bar.

·
Registered
224 Posts
A stainless steel tray with a lid was sold for snowmobiling that allowed some hotdogs to be secured inside, while you ride. Then cooked to perfection when you stopped along the trial somewhere. Great idea, except for the exhaust smell on them. Threw them on the ground and went to bar.

I think it was Ski Doo who had a factory lunch box warmer that attached to the header pipe.

I’ve been out here since 05 and I still love it. I don’t miss plowing snow one little bit.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
So...the two of you are currently experiencing Arizona's "dry" heat as opposed to the sultry, midwest "wet" heat.
Any idea when the cee-ment pond will be put in? 0:)

Just curious, have you purchased your official Arizona oven mitt driving gloves, as yet? You know, after you return to your car after leaving it sitting in the afternoon sun for say, oh, 3 minutes? >:)

It's all good, because in just a few, short weeks your former neighbors will be putting away their lawn mowers for their snow blowers. While they are suffering from thermal shock in late October, our riding season will have just begun...and continue through June!

- David
You guys are cracking me up. Sorry, I JUST saw your post on Thursday night. Nope, we are NOT missing the humidity back in the Chicago area! It's funny that you mention getting the "oven mitt" gloves. My wife and I were at Cycle Gear this morning getting her a mesh jacket and myself a pair of gloves. I rode over to Home Depot the other day and the grips and levers were quite HOT when I got back. Didn't have anything but leather cold-weather gloves, but I wasn't going to don those. When it starts to get a bit cooler during the day...WE WILL BE OUT riding for sure. For now, I just get up early I the morning and ride until it gets into the low 100's and then I'm back. Looking forward to the "fall" riding weather.
The c-ment pond is put on hold for now pending some other pressing matters, but it'll be probably within the next couple of months.
David, maybe we should get together with the others in the Surprise area sometime and go for an early morning ride?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Plowing from the seat of a nice warm truck is the only way to do it. Those with shovels don’t live long.
Yep, I had snowblowers and shovels... never a truck to drive with a plow attached. I suffered a heart attack after a record snowfall one Superbowl Sunday. Doctor told me to never shovel snow again.... I still did, but took my time and took it easy and it would take twice as long, or we'd hire the guy down the street that had the plow :wink2:.
Like my signature line says.........

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I've been in the Valley of the Sun Arizona since 1954.... Not sure about that shoveling or plowing thing of snow. On purpose anyway.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve, reference summer gloves and Home Depot, I buy the three pack of utility mesh gloves for $9.99. Works well enough for me during these brutally hot summer days.

Also, I wouldn't mind coming down to ride with you guys, but not until your daily temps drop into the 80's. I've experience my fair share of heat related illness during our summer riding to know when to stay in an air conditioned vehicle.

Last winter during our snow dumping events, I had a lot of "fun" digging out multiple driveways which held that heavy, wet snow at a depth of 34". Going very slow with the shovel was the only way to dig out my widow and/or single lady neighbors. Sure glad our paramedic neighbor was out there helping! Digging out of a northern Missouri winter storm with all that nice, light, powdery snow was a piece of cake compared to digging out all that wet, heavy stuff! I do believe new, profane sentences were conjured up by myself!

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Steve, reference summer gloves and Home Depot, I buy the three pack of utility mesh gloves for $9.99. Works well enough for me during these brutally hot summer days.

Also, I wouldn't mind coming down to ride with you guys, but not until your daily temps drop into the 80's. I've experience my fair share of heat related illness during our summer riding to know when to stay in an air conditioned vehicle.

Last winter during our snow dumping events, I had a lot of "fun" digging out multiple driveways which held that heavy, wet snow at a depth of 34". Going very slow with the shovel was the only way to dig out my widow and/or single lady neighbors. Sure glad our paramedic neighbor was out there helping! Digging out of a northern Missouri winter storm with all that nice, light, powdery snow was a piece of cake compared to digging out all that wet, heavy stuff! I do believe new, profane sentences were conjured up by myself!
David, I rode down your street this morning after I went past that house I was thinking of buying last spring. I wasn't sure which house was yours though, but I wouldn't just drop in unannounced. I let the missus know that I was going on a ride first thing in the morning, but I didn't have a destination in mind. But then this morning around 4, I thought why not ride up to Payson. Why not indeed. I am so stoked about the scenery in that area that I'm going to insist the wife go with the next time(s). Wow. you have some great countryside around you for sure.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you got out of the oven, even for a little bit!

Good thing you didn't stop by, else you would wind up with this nasty head cold both Debbie and I are suffering from.

So, after seeing your "almost forever home" plus seeing part of our topography, how deep are the pangs of regret are you suffering from? No need to answer, btw...

Lots of bikers head to the Payson Airport for breakfast. The restaurant sits on a nice vista in the NW corner of town with marvelous views from the massive windows. The main visual is the Mogollon Rim, which rises to near 8,000' elevation in places. Good food as well.

The road north from Payson to Pine has a fair amount of sweepers, but can tackle the unwary if you're not paying attention.

I'll send you my cell # in a PM for next time...

- David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts