GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CNN reported that Steve Irwing died this morning of a sting ray attack while he was snorkling.

Thought you all would like to know.

He will be missed!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I heard that he was stuck by a Goldwing!!!!..
Actually he was filming under water when a sting ray pierced his heart, and on top of that,they didn't have the right antevenom near by...He died shortly after that ...........Who woulda thunk he would die that way and not from a crocodile !!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bad Today Show

Earlier this morning the Today Show was airing a previous interview between Steve Irwin and Matt Lauer in which Lauer was chastising him for allowing his children to be close to the crocs. F.U. Matt.....typical Today Show BS.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yeah that sucks....I was ridding my Goldwing{on topic} up in the Blueridge mountains on Skyline drive, saw a snake in the road. A truck ha stoped in front of it, I was tailgunner in our formation, as I passed the sanake I saw that it was a Timber rattle snake. I stopped and asked the guy in the truck what he was going to do, he just wanted to move it off the road so no one would run over it. I hopped off the bike and went right up to it with my camera, years ago if I had not watched the croc hunter the story may have been diffrent. He did alot to educate the general public about the good that reptiles and other creatures do for mother earth. I will miss his shows .

If your ever up on Skyline drive in Va by Luray stop in on the Luray Zoo, lots of reptiles, steve stopped there a couple of years ago to visit, plus my old iguana is there.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
goldwinghen3 said:
Actually he was filming under water when a sting ray pierced his heart, and on top of that,they didn't have the right antevenom near by...He died shortly after that ...........Who woulda thunk he would die that way and not from a crocodile !!!!
There is no antivenom for stingray toxin. Not that it matters. The stinger pierced his heart, he pulled it out and died almost immediately.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Budweiser said:
Hi All - My first Post.

Steve is very popular in the UK RIP M8 :cry:
Hi Budweiser,

Sorry this had to be the topic of your first post on this board. Steve was very popular is the USA also. He will be missed.

Anyway...WELCOME! ....We hope all your future posts will be happier ones!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mike is correct. No antivenom for stingray poison. Normally it just causes necrosis in the tissue close to the wound. If that wound is the heart, it just stops and nothing can be done. They tried CPR but no good.

Hennigm4, I had a similar experience. On Monday at about the same time, I was riding with a friend in the mountains near Brisbane. We came across two stopped vehicles on the road, one each way. In between was a large carpet python. The drivers were trying to chase it off the road. Not one of us was inclined to run it over.
The snake slithered under one car and I called out to make sure it came out the other side. It didn't. It came out the back and went straight towards my bike and wrapped itself around both my wheels. Having watched plenty of Steve Irwin docos I knew the snake was mostly harmless and just wanted to get somewhere safe. My only concern was that somewhere safe was not inside my fairing. I kept still to let it go where it wanted and luckily, just then another car pulled up. It was the local park rangers and they helped extricate it from around my wheels and send it on its way.
Later that day we heard of Steve's untimely death. Very sad.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Steve Irwin

This news really shocked me. My family and I are big fans of Steve and everything he has done for raising awareness of the forum he pursued. Just a tragic event. We all are lessened..................................

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yep...sad news indeed. I know my son was really upset when he found out.

I feel for his wife and kids, as well as his family there at the zoo.

Dep

·
Registered
242 Posts
I feel sorry for the mans family but you can only temp fate for so long and sooner later it's going to jump up and bite you. As I watched clips on the news this morning of him holding a poisonous snake by the tail for no other reason than the show effect than saw him play catch me if you can with a crocodile. It brought to mind David Treadwell the bear guy who thought he understood grizzly bears until one had him and his girlfriend for lunch. I guess if there's a plus side to this they did die doing what they loved to do. Dave

·
Registered
922 Posts
I would have to say that ridding a motorcycle is way more dangerous than anything steve Irwin did, to many variables that we can not control. That is why it was a surprise, especially from a stingray, I would have bet money it would have been a snake.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Now they are going to have to remove Steve Irwin's suncare products from the market.

It turns out they don't protect you from harmful rays.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts