GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of my 10 day old silver '07. It now has 204 miles on it which is pretty good for this area just outside of Philadelphia,PA this time of year. Can't wait untill my new wife & I can take it on our first long distance trip this Spring! Still getting use to it, but WOW, what a ride!

[/img]

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
congratulations !

something just doesn't look rite, maybe its the trailer

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was thinking about how strange it must look to see a Gold Wing on a trailer instead of pulling one :oops: If I could have found someone to take me to pick it up, I'd have ridden it the 42 miles home. Fear not, except for any non-functioning related problem ( as if !), it'll never see the top side of a trailer again!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
LOL - I just got my 04 back from Planet Honda in Chadds Ford (which is 51 miles one way from where I live in Silverdale/Sellersville/Perkasie area). I left my Explorer there and rode out on Friday afternoon, a little less than 100 miles later I was pulling into my driveway. I had already made arrangements to park the Explorer in the back lot and pick it up over this weekend.

Darn is it GREAT to be back in the drivers seat again after not feeling comfortable on the wing since July. Not that the other 2 rides in the garage didn't pull their duty to prevent my PMS 8)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Congratulations Steve !
You've made a wise color choice.
I like to call it "White Gold" cuz when the sun hits it the rays of light radiates in all directions and I always find that other riders are "trying"
to catch up with it. :lol: .
Other Bikers always go towards the light and when they arrive(StopLight)..... there's you and your Silver (White Gold) GoldWing .

Enjoy :1st:

Dave

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Welcome to the Goldwing World. I must say, though, that the crash bars are a very poor place to tie down a Goldwing. Hope you got it home without bending them.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
What's that thing it's sitting on??

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Wanderer said:
Welcome to the Goldwing World. I must say, though, that the crash bars are a very poor place to tie down a Goldwing. Hope you got it home without bending them.
Ditto! Was that the dealerships idea??

Bradford

·
Registered
129 Posts
Typical the dealer didn't know how to tie the bike to a trailer. Same thing happened to me. Didn't take long to tear the rear crash bar off the bike. Cost me $50.00 for new parts right off the bat.

Steve, Do yourself a favor and do a search on the site for how to tie the bike to a trailer. It's not hard and it will save you some damage later. I have to trailer my bike from place to place and I have a lot of trailer miles on mine already. Once I found the correct way to tie it down it rides nice. No broken parts.

You will love your new ride. I ride every chance I get, cold or not. Enjoy and ride safe. :lol:

·
Registered
624 Posts
I always tie down a bike using the front fork. However, you all might find this thread interesting http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50505

It seems that Honda shipped the bike over to Germany in a crate and tied down at the....................you guessed it, the crash bars.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Steve,

Congrats. Hurts to see a Wing on a trailer, but there are circumstances I am sure, and you are using a Condor Wheel chock, so it aint so bad.....LOL

Hope to see you up this way soon.

Bulldog

·
Registered
273 Posts
Titanium must be a popular color, I traded my C50 Suzuki for a new 07 Goldwing two weeks ago. I have found that this bird wants to fly, watch your speed. Safe riding.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
The loads the crash bars will be subjected to riding down the road on a trailer with every bump and rebound will be exponentially higher than during shipping. A lousy fork truck driver couldn't replicate it.

Bradford

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nice Bike, congratulations!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"what's that thing it's sitting on??" (quote)

As Bull Dog stated, the bike is mostly secured to my trailer by the "Condor Pit-Stop/Trailer Stop". The bikes front wheel is secured to the units upright section by means of a heavy duty nylon strap and as long as the tie downs are tightened in the back to front direction, the bike is VERY secure. There were NO problems at all while trailering the bike on it's 42 mile ride home. I've been using this trailer to mostly haul my bikes since I bought it as a kit in 1991. I highly recomend the Condor brand of chocks. I don't like any type of bar harness style of strap. They tend to disfigure the grips and if a grip is pulled off the handlebars, then ya got big troubles.

·
Registered
624 Posts
24 Carat said:
The loads the crash bars will be subjected to riding down the road on a trailer with every bump and rebound will be exponentially higher than during shipping. A lousy fork truck driver couldn't replicate it.

Bradford
Assuming the Wing went to Germany on a ship, I'm sure it spent quite a bit of time on a trailer or rail car between the factory and the port of export and between the port of import and the dealer in Germany. There ain't nothing gentle about shipping a bike 4,000 miles by any medium.

Like I said, I use the forks for tie down. :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts