GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it happened... first cold snap and my switches have begun to stick. The story goes like this, a friend and I decided that New Years day would be a good day to ride. We developed a nice all day trip in a big circle and was to meet at Cracker Barrell for breakfast. The temperature was 36 degrees that morning at 8am. I got on my bike, fired it up, and decided that the driving lights were not needed (full sunshine) I reached down to turn them off and the switch would not release. I said to myself, oh well, someone must want them to stay on so i ignored it and left them running. I drove to CB and in the parking lot sat my friend on his GW. He had used reverse switch to back into the spot (uphill) and now the switch will not release. We tried and tried to get the button to pop out but would not budge. I went to my bike just to check out the rest of my buttons and low and behold the 4way flashers button would not release... at that point we both were frustrated and gave up. After we ate, I decided to get a cup of hot water from CB and pour over the switches to see if it would help warm them up enough to get the buttons to release. On the reverse switch, i held the cup of my hand under the switch and let the hot water pour into my hand and onto the switch... after a few minutes the switch released. Great... now to my 4 way and driving light switch... the water trick didn't work. Now I am on my second cup of water... I took the left pocket out and tried to tap the switches and that failed. I then poured the hot water slowly over the switches on the inside of the pocket and finally they released. We decided to go on the trip and not push anymore buttons in that day.... I tried my driving light button later on that night and it stuck in again...

Is this a on going issue wth GW's? I've read on the web several people having to open the switches and relubricate them.... some sprayed with wd40, some with silicone spray lube, some with Silicone grease after tearing them apart....

What is your take on this situation... have you experienced this?
I open the thread for discussion....
:biker:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I ride my 07 wing daily to work. I normally get off work at 10pm. By then it's usually in the mid 20s. Have ridden it on numerous occasions in the high teens / low 20s and no problems with switches. One thing though and i don't know how much effect it has but, the humidity here is usually only about 20-30%

1 - 3 of 3 Posts