GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the 2003 Wing out of hibernation yesterday and was using the cruise control. Had no problem getting it set but when I went to turn it off the button moved but the green indicator light verbage was still on. I have also had this problem with the radio buttons for changing from AM to FM. Is there anything I could spray on them to help? Would I have to remove covers etc to get at the actual guts to free things up?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Wing world technical editor says to try silicone spray. The Honda dealer says NOT to use silicone spray, but they also don't have any other recommendation. I'd be likely to try a little wd-40. With a rag in the general area to keep the stuff from dripping. I did have a problem with my CB transmit switch, and a little squirt of wd-40 freed it up and it's working fine now.

You might have luck just working the switch and buttons by pressing them repeatedly. Whatever is stuck might un-stick that way.

·
Registered
855 Posts
i've replied to a similar thread before. shoot 'em full of WD40, work the switch in & out a few times then stick your wet-n-dry vacuum hose right on top of the entire switch and suck the crud out. repeat a couple of times. crud's gone and the switch is lubed without being "over-lubed". works like a charm!

·
Registered
464 Posts
First of all I would never use WD-40 to lube a switch. WD-40 will turn gummy in a few months. Contact cleaner would be my cleaner of choice. It is designed to clean, de-oxidize, lubricate and never leave a residue that will eventually turn to gum.

The cruise turns off? Huh... the things you learn here....:eek:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Got the 2003 Wing out of hibernation yesterday and was using the cruise control. Had no problem getting it set but when I went to turn it off the button moved but the green indicator light verbage was still on. I have also had this problem with the radio buttons for changing from AM to FM. Is there anything I could spray on them to help? Would I have to remove covers etc to get at the actual guts to free things up?

Thanks in advance.
Wing Duffer,
For the radio buttons, look close for sand/grit that gets in the cracks. A tooth pick will get those out, and "Tunnel Fillers" will keep them out.

ww91 said:
The cruise turns off? Huh... the things you learn here....:eek:
:agree:For the cruise control, mine has been stuck on for the past six years. I haven't fixed it because I couldn't think of a reason that I would cut it off. :shrug:

If you really want to fix it, Fred H has a good site with instructions for the reverse switch; all those push-button switches work the same.
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/reverseswitch

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts