GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:4:Hey Guys , I was wondering if anyone has had problems with sticking buttons. First my cruise power button stays stuck in the on position., then my reverse button started sticking. I read Freds fix on the reverse button and attempted the repair, well after dropping the spring and searching for it for 30 minutes, and then cleaning and lubeing it as Fred described it still sticks. So I took it to the local dealer and they said they would look at it. Well as I was showing them the problem I pushed the mute button and it stayed stuck in also.Is this a common problem or is my bike starting to fall apart. Its an 02 with 60,000 miles.I am considering stepping up and buying a new one, but with the economy and all I am a little hesitant:confused:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sticky control butt0ns

I hear dealer would replace entire switch setup with new ones under warranty. Anyone have this experience? My extended warranty expires 9-2009 and have mute button sticking as well as cruise on button.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I've got the same problems on my 2005. I'm stopping by Radio Shack in the morning and picking up some TV Tuner cleaner, should do the trick.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103700

I wonder how long it has been since a TV Tuner has been made that can actually be cleaned by this stuff?:nojoke:

·
Registered
880 Posts
The switch (push-in and lock, push-out unlock) works off a little cam lever. Fred’s way works and he shows it in his maintenance DVD set. Great DVD set, much detail.

What you have to do is to remove the switch and disassemble it, being very careful of the spring and those electrical contacts. Fred has used a plastic garbage sack pushed onto the handle bar and acting like a sack to catch your dropped items. I’ve been doing this since my GL1200. I got to learn a lot with old Harleys!

Once you can see the cam lever clean it really good and degrease the entire switch with a tooth brush and a cleaning solution, I use Dawn and alcohol.

Then grease the switch, cam lever, contacts and housing with silicon grease. If you work the switch button you’ll be able to see the cam lever working back and forth. Fred shows this better than I could write it up.

Re-assemble and you’re back in business.

If the lever is broken get a new switch. What is the cost of frustration?

If you don’t like to tinker with this stuff take the bike to the dealer. Warrantee should be good to go if you have the extended stuff. I don’t take my stuff to anyone, not even my buddies. Except the time I had a race shop bore out my jugs on the Harley.

Ride Free,
Bobalou

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've got the same problems on my 2005. I'm stopping by Radio Shack in the morning and picking up some TV Tuner cleaner, should do the trick.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103700

I wonder how long it has been since a TV Tuner has been made that can actually be cleaned by this stuff?:nojoke:
this is the stuff to use.... never took a stuck button apart yet....
just squirt some of that in the sides of the opening... bingo
works fine after a few pushes :cool:

·
Registered
406 Posts
This has happened to every button on mine...I ended up taking it to the dealer to scrape out the old hardened silicone (white grease) that the factory installs & leaving it clean of any grease. The silicone hardens over time (especially in the cold) and causes the button to stick. Any spray cleaners cannot reach the area that sticks, it's gotta be disassembled & old grease removed. Since I've had it done (2 yrs ago) I haven't had any more problems. Honda needs to switch products or something as this is way too common a problem.

Ron
Cowhide Covers
New Bike Pins

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Took my '06 to the dealer a couple weeks ago with multiple switch issues..CB channel switch only works going up, freq sel on FM sometimes only works going up, stuff like that. If I operate the offending switch for 30-40 times, it sometimes begins working. Still under warranty. Dealer saw the CB switch not work, then start working. Refused to cover anything under warranty if it was seen functioning at all, regardless of initial condition. Also complained of transmission jumping out of 5th gear; dealer refused to do anything until complete failure.

Dealer wants me to buy extended warranty.

Ride long and safe..and I think maybe this is my last Gold Wing.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6 TE
'08 Hannigan GTL sidecar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts