GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll preface this question with some history: I owned a 2006 wing (bought new by me) Installed Kurykyn floorboards rode the wing over 104,000 miles without a problem. Bought a new 2017 wing in March of 17 installed the same footboard (now has 25,000 miles on it, and (after the machine is warmed up) experience the shift sticking when down shifting. I have checked the Kurykyn shifter and there is 'nothing' hanging up the play is free as can be. When the engine is cold (before it warms up) there's no problem. Only after warm up. I use Honda synthetic so there shouldn't be an issue with that.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll preface this question with some history: I owned a 2006 wing (bought new by me) Installed Kurykyn floorboards rode the wing over 104,000 miles without a problem. Bought a new 2017 wing in March of 17 installed the same footboard (now has 25,000 miles on it, and (after the machine is warmed up) experience the shift sticking when down shifting. I have checked the Kurykyn shifter and there is 'nothing' hanging up the play is free as can be. When the engine is cold (before it warms up) there's no problem. Only after warm up. I use Honda synthetic so there shouldn't be an issue with that.Any suggestions?

Try changing your shaft oil if you haven’t done so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Has the clutch fluid been maintained correctly ??? Per Honda It needs done at least every 12k.

The first thing to try:
- remove the heal-toe shifter, put the OEM peg on, and see if you get the same symptom.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greg:
Yes the Clutch fluid is replaced as per the schedule. The problem is not the clutch but the "shifter" where your left foot is that's what sticks and has since it was new!!!!/ Still on warranty I guess I could take it to a dealer, however, there are not that many good mechanics work'n at dealers near me!!! Place of purchase was Russellville AR and that's a bit far for this issue. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is in the transmission, not the final drive. There has been no issue with the final drive. and only happens when the tranny is warm'd up!

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
The first thing to try:
- remove the heal-toe shifter, put the OEM peg on, and see if you get the same symptom.
Sorry to ask again, but this needs answered. Has this been tried ??? If you don't have a peg, with the heal-toe removed rest you heal on the passenger floor board while you try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
greg: I got a second recommendation form rayjoe, will try soon as these Tstorms let up!!!! thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I greased my heel-toe shifter when mine started to hang and it has been good every since. But, I wonder sometimes if this shifter hurts the transmission. I know by now you have solved your problem, lol, but thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts