GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an '01 1800 with low mileage and have been "making it mine" with accessories. The speedo sticks and that drives me ABSOLUTELY NUTS! I checked and saw that was a common problem on that bike. I can get the replacement speedo for like $40. I checked with Honda and they would charge close to $400 to install it. It does not drive me that nuts.

My question is, has anyone done the job theirselves? If so were there any "special" tools required. I can do it as long as I don't have to go buy a $500 tool...

Thanks
Jerry

·
Registered
464 Posts
I also have an 01 and the problem, as I understand it, is the sun causes the backing plate to warp. I have heard that you can take it apart and, using super glue, stick it back down so it doesn't interfere with the speedometer pointer.

Another alternative is to either cover your speedo when you park it with the sun shining directly on it, or park with the front of the bike facing south so the sun doesn't shine directly on it. I have an old tee shirt that covers the windshield and is long enough to go over the instrument panel.
That only works while it is parked. I was riding the other day and the sun was shining over my shoulder and got it sticking while I was heading north.

You can also have the dealer replace it as there was a recall for the problem on the 01 models. I don't remember the SB number. I tried this approach and my warranty claim was denied by the dealer stating that the warranty had expired prior to my bringing it to his attention. If you get Honda to replace it under warranty, let us know and I'll go back to the dealer and try again.

S

·
0 Posts
Yep totally do able , no special tools needed . Save yourself big bucks :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I bought an '01 1800 with low mileage and have been "making it mine" with accessories. The speedo sticks and that drives me ABSOLUTELY NUTS! I checked and saw that was a common problem on that bike. I can get the replacement speedo for like $40. I checked with Honda and they would charge close to $400 to install it. It does not drive me that nuts.

My question is, has anyone done the job theirselves? If so were there any "special" tools required. I can do it as long as I don't have to go buy a $500 tool...
The replacement speedo's mileage will be what shows on the ODO. If you don't mind that, $40 sounds like a great price, and doing the swapout shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure the speedo you buy came from an '02 to an '05 Wing (I believe that's right - check on this info)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
My 01 sticks like crazy everytime the sun is behind me. Does not matter if it is hot or cold outside. That service bulletin was for in warranty claims only. I checked.

I can get the replacement speedo for like $40.
If I could find one for that price I would be on it "like white on rice".

·
Registered
82 Posts
I read the service bulleton and it states 1.7 hours for labor. If the dealer gets $100.00 per hour then the labor will be $170.00. The dealer in the original post is making some big bucks. I'd print out the service bulleton and take it to a different dealer

Spike

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I read the service bulleton and it states 1.7 hours for labor. If the dealer gets $100.00 per hour then the labor will be $170.00. The dealer in the original post is making some big bucks. I'd print out the service bulleton and take it to a different dealer

Spike
Yes you're right about 1.7 hrs...but that's warranty/ service rate...I'm sure regular rate would be close to double that.:rolleyes:

Mark

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The dealer in Jacksonville told me that the only one they ever done took almost 3 hrs. to complete.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replacement speedo

My 01 sticks like crazy everytime the sun is behind me. Does not matter if it is hot or cold outside. That service bulletin was for in warranty claims only. I checked.

If I could find one for that price I would be on it "like white on rice".

Go to Hal's site and plug in part 37200-mca-671 (the one mentioned in the service bulletin) and it comes back at $41.73.

Speaking of which, I used Hal's last week, ordered two mufflers and they were at my door in under a week and over a hundred bucks cheaper than Honda. I was IMPRESSED!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
speedo

My 01 sticks the same way when sun is shining on it no other time i cracked my plastic cover that covers speedo and tach.replaced with new cover took about 30 minutes problem solved for now.no sticking.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Go to Hal's site and plug in part 37200-mca-671 (the one mentioned in the service bulletin) and it comes back at $41.73.
I did that but mine is an ABS model so it costs $170.68. So as we used to say "thats the breaks of Naval Air".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts