GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2001 Goldwing with a sticky speedometer, and I am the third owner of the bike (2nd owner only owned it a few months). I saw where this stick speedometer problem is one that Honda knows about in the form of TSB #8 I believe. Has anyone had any luck getting Honda to fix this kind of thing without charging for it, or fixing it at a reduced charge. I'm probably just out of luck I guess since the warranty is gone, so does anyone know how much it costs to fix it if Honda won't do it as a late warranty item.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess it looks like not many people have had this problem since there haven't been any responses. Anyone have any suggestions on how I might fix it myself?

A

·
0 Posts
Why not just call your dealer's service department and ask? If I remember correctly, the service bulletin states free of charge and no mention of warantee.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
It's a service bulletin, not a recall. I imagine you will be charged for the repair if your scoot is out of warranty!

·
Registered
154 Posts
speedo

I bought mine, a 2001 about 18 mos. ago with 3,900 miles on it, and Honda fixed it (speedo) for no charge. I suspect it depends on the dealer. My anti dive was not working also, and I paid for the new one, but not for the labor to install it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
......... There is a service bulletin on your Honda dealers website with Honda called "The Wrench"...... that's where it'll be found. There was a problem with 2001 and 2002 speedometer needles sticking. I know several who had their speedometer replaced at no charge.
I recently had my tachometer replaced because the needle would stick. I showed my service dept. a little half circle on the right side of the base of the tach needle where it was dragging and scratched the face.
Direct sunlight on the speedometer or tach face causes the face plate with the numbers to bow up and cause the needle to stick. When my tach needle would stick because of bright sunlight directly on it, I could put my hand over the tach to shadow it, and after about 15 or 20 seconds, the tach needle would release and work fine until another hit of direct sunlight.
Most likely when your speedometer needle sticks, if you put your hand over it to block the light, it'll go back to working. Hope this helps.
Ride Safe, Stobby.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I replaced mine on my 2001 myself. The cost of the replacement part isn't bad. If you have a modicum of mechanical aptitude you shouldn't have a problem. If I remember right my mistake was not removing the assy. under the windshield to get to the back of the guages. Take your time and notice what came from where and it shouldn't be tough.

LAW

·
Registered
127 Posts
There was an interesting post way back about a non dealer fix for this problen. First of all the problem is the black speedometer face warps when it gets hot and the speedometer needle sticks at about 20-40 MPH. I was lucky and mine stuck just before the warranty ran out and the dealer replaced the instrument or the cluster, whatever. Now if you can't get a warranty fix and you do not want to pay for the repair then try this suggestion that was posted as a fix. Get access to the instrument cluster and carefully apply glue to the backing of the speedometer. Sorry I can't remember what the poster said on how to get access the the backing. Maybe you can do a search. At any rate if you are mechanically inclined you should be able to figure it out. Good Luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow (they are closed on Mondays). Hopefully they'll fix it at no charge. I have to take it over there to get a state inspection anyway. If not I'll try the glue. At least I know if I screw it up, I can just buy the speedo and put it in myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts