GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fog light and emergency flasher switches on my 2005 wing have been stuck for a few months. A couple of weeks ago, I took them apart (watching for the little spring) and cleaned them out. I used a dry lube with teflon spray followed by dielectric grease. Put them back together and back in panel. They worked flawlessly several times. Last night for some reason I tried the fog light switch again and it is stuck like before. I'm guessing that the dry lube was not the best thing to use. I'll be heading to Fry's next week to see what they have for a contact cleaner/lube.

Joe in Modesto

·
Vendor
18,449 Posts
Get the stuff from Radion Shack. You cannot by it on the web, ground store purchase only. You don't even need to disassemble the switch. Crack the cover off the switch, shove the little straw in and squirt. It is a cleaner/lube penitrating foam.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103700

·
Registered
338 Posts
The switches Honda uses for the fog lights and especially the 4 way switch are pure junk! You would not believe the amount of those switches I have taken apart and cleaned for owners and they would work for a while and stick again. I have tried the lithum grease, moly lube, silicon, and just axle grease. I have also cleaned them with the Radio Shack cleaner and they will still stick again. I have resulted in fixing a few of the hazard switches(at the owners request) so they would not work at all. I think they are using switches from CHINA!

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Be careful and try this spray on plastic before ruining all your switches. Maybe it's OK but years ago they found Freon was damaging the atmosphere so it was taxed heavily. Of course high tax always "fixes" everything. We were paying like $5 for freon based tuner spray then after the tax it was like $20 a can, but this other spray which Radio Shack was one used a different propellant. Trouble was it melted plastic. So beware. Maybe things have changed and I sure hope because years, ago you spray RS tuner spray in a switch it would be ruined. We used WD40 from that point on instead on switches and tuners and it was safer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Be careful and try this spray on plastic before ruining all your switches. Maybe it's OK but years ago they found Freon was damaging the atmosphere so it was taxed heavily. Of course high tax always "fixes" everything. We were paying like $5 for freon based tuner spray then after the tax it was like $20 a can, but this other spray which Radio Shack was one used a different propellant. Trouble was it melted plastic. So beware. Maybe things have changed and I sure hope because years, ago you spray RS tuner spray in a switch it would be ruined. We used WD40 from that point on instead on switches and tuners and it was safer.
Tri-Flow. Try it, you'll like it! :thumbup:

Doesn't melt plastic or burn into painted surfaces either! :thumbup::thumbup:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...08#post3343608

·
Registered
74 Posts
What worked for me on my 02 GL was WD-40 and the small straw. Spray around button and then I used 80 psi air. Something about the pressured air pushing the WD-40 worked for me. I had the problem on the reverse button and the top cruse control button. Hope this helps.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Do you have an extended warranty? Just had mine replaced under warranty.:p

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Get the stuff from Radion Shack. You cannot by it on the web, ground store purchase only. You don't even need to disassemble the switch. Crack the cover off the switch, shove the little straw in and squirt. It is a cleaner/lube penitrating foam.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103700
I have done the same thing and sprayed tuner cleaner in there with no lube and they work good for 6 months to a year. I am going to try the radio shack foam, thanks for that tip.

·
Vendor
18,449 Posts
What worked for me on my 02 GL was WD-40 and the small straw. Spray around button and then I used 80 psi air. Something about the pressured air pushing the WD-40 worked for me. I had the problem on the reverse button and the top cruse control button. Hope this helps.:thumbup:
Did you seporate the switch assembly halves to get to the switches?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
With sticky Hazard or Fog switches you have three options if cleaning them out with contact/lube doesn't work.

1) OEM Honda (we know the Hazard isn't sold seperately) most like have to buy the whole cluster panel. :eek:4:
2) Or a stock looking replacement from.
EC- http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/switch-gl18fog.htm

BTW:
The fog/hazard is the same switch with different COVERS that can be swapped out too. :thumbup:

3) Or do what Waldo did and convert his switches to these from,
Radio Shack http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Hazepurple/1800%20technical%20pictures/anytime4waypanelani-1.gif

I'll be doing the radio switches conversion the next time one of mine decides to screw with me for a permanant fix that tells me if the switch is on or not.:thumbup:
(yeah I know the hazards flash on the dash-lol)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts