GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the onset of colder weather, my throttle has been getting more and more sluggish on the return. Now I have to return it, will not return completly by it's self. Any suggestions on what to look for or do I just dive in and lube everything.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the grip itself. It can be lubed by removing the weight and spraying lube between the grip and handle bar. Very easy, very quick. All better now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have never been a fan of spraying anything between the bar and the throttle tube.

Here's my logic:

- the tube is plastic and the bar is metal. If both are clean, they will never stick together.

- adding any kind of lube or spray will attract more dirt ... thus creating a sticking situation.

My point is that if your throttle does not return properly, the three most common causes are:

1 - pinched cable. generally due to improper routing after maintenance or putting something (airbox, seat, etc) on top of the cable.

2 - cables needs lube.

3 - the rubber part of the throttle is not fully on the plastic throttle tube, so the rubber part comes into contact with the bar or bar end. This generally happens as a result of trailering the bike with tie downs to the grips.

While on the topic, NEVER tie a motorcycle down by the handle grips. I don't even approve of the Canyon Dancer concept. Always use triple clamps or other frame parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts