GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm unable to adjust my mirrors, so I pulled one out and took it in the house thinking that the warmth would help but it did not. Can not adjust up down or left or right.

Should I try some silicone spray on it??

TIA,
JOhn

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
John, try loosing the screw in the bottom of the mirror housing. It is possible thay they might be too tight and the mirror has set in the same spot and is stuck. It does take quite a bit of pressure to make the mirror move even when the screw is adjusted properly. Caution, removing the screw all of the way will allow the glass to fall out of the housing if you aren't careful

·
Registered
649 Posts
With the mirror out look at the back side and you can see how it kind of fits in like a ball in a socket. Work with what ever you want, I think silicon spray would not stay in place long so I worked in some anti sieze compund in the slots around the ball. It is plastic on plastic so anything that will make the parts slide should work, but you have to force it in on the back side.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The screw at the bottom of the mirror doesn't affect the mirror adjustibility, it just holds the mirror assembly in place.:thumbup:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't feel alone on this, my 08 is only 7 months and since day one I've never been able to adjust mirrors. I to would like to find a solution, if the screw is not the answer. Does the whole mirror adjust or just the glass. The day I picked it up the service guy didn't think they adjusted, so I never asked again. They are in a reasonable position, but could be tweeked a little.
Mike

·
Registered
679 Posts
I adjusted my mirror by loosening the screw on the bottom side. There is limited movement but enough to make a difference.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
I always worry about breaking the mirror, but I assure you it WILL move if you push hard enough.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Removed the mirrors and gave them both a light squirt of silicone spray. All is well now and thanks!

John

I always worry about breaking the mirror, but I assure you it WILL move if you push hard enough.

·
Registered
326 Posts
yeah, mine was tough as well. i was tired of the poor angle so one day i just pushed the bottom outside corner thinking if it broke i'd learn something - it moved. i thought it would brake. i haven't moved it since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts