GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Americade has changed for the worst,anybody still attending tthe Rip-Off Rally???:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm going with 3 others. Two of us have never been. I doubt I would call it a rip off. Any time I can get on the bike and travel miles from home and work is a good time for me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK Let's see overprice hotel rates,food,bike parts the list goes on and on unless you go up to warrensburg where prices are a bit more relaxed..:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Tell me what event you can go to in this country that does not over price everything? Sturgis is the same. If you think it is a rip-off don't go. I am sure they will not miss you. I've gone every year except 2 since it started. But I only go for an over night to see all the bikes and walk around town. I did not even go through the vendor area last year. It is what you make of it.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Tell me what event you can go to in this country that does not over price everything? Sturgis is the same. If you think it is a rip-off don't go. I am sure they will not miss you. I've gone every year except 2 since it started. But I only go for an over night to see all the bikes and walk around town. I did not even go through the vendor area last year. It is what you make of it.
Exactly! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Wanna talk rip off? Check out "Wing Ding". You have to pay the full entrance fee just to go into the vendor area. You have to pay money to spend money. :shrug:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm going for the week this year, most years I do mostly just day trips, then the whole week now and then... I enjoy looking around the most, I tell people that you'll see some very good ideas, other times you say what were they thinking.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I attended in 1990... everyone should go at least once. Riverboat ride, demo's, ride up Mt. Washington, etc. Remember thinking I should have bought the Venture Royal instead of my Cavalcade, after the demos! Got some good advice on oil and tires, etc. Got my wife and baby son's name painted on the trunk.

Like every rally, "been there-done that". How people go to any affair year after year instead of new places confuses me. :shrug:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alot of vendors have bailed this year to the point that there will be no forum just the beach,no more hot tubs and swings for sale seems a shame :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Booked our rooms in March for $79. The weekly registration is a deal at $59 if you stay for a few days.
Gas is high this year, but otherwise, the riding's free.
What else do you want???

I'm there for Mon-Thurs, then heading to VT gaps & NH to MT. Washington.
Laconia's late this year, so I'll miss that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Check out http://www.americade.com if you never attended in the past. Also the reason many vendors are not returning in 2014 is because those who submitted comments said they wanted less of the non-releated to motorcycling vendors. On the upbeat Kuryakyn is bring both of their trucks to Americade in 2014. The most ever oportunities to test ride a new bike 18 different vendors.

If you are concerned about hotel rates consider going to areas like Pottersville and Schroon Lake 30 to 35 minutes away and low priced places often well under $80.00 per night often no minimum stays and about 6 different roads to Americade so you can go a different route daily. Great country roads or Super Slab have it "Your Way". One place is Lee's Corner Motel, very simple and very clean. http://leescornermotel.com/ they don't run their rates up for Americade.

Then get a reservation to eat at the Cafe Adirondack. http://cafeadirondack.com/ Voted the best of the adirondacks for fine dinning 2014 "Adirondack Life". No reservation no dinner. We locals know not to even try without the reservation even in the dead of winter. Usually 24 hours ahead is reccomended!

Come and enjoy my back yard all 6,000,000 acres.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Americade this year swing and a miss - looking to get a helmet but no discounts to be found anywhere,seemed like everything was overpriced,Klim jacket for $1400 REALLY!!!!!!!:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I couldn't go this year. Hopefully the folks who did attend saw the exorbitant prices you did Motorhead51 and just kept on walking. Then the vendors would not make any money and realize their prices were too high.

Or maybe you just missed the deals! Frankly, when I go to a rally, I don't want to see hot tubs for sale, or jewelry, or swings, any other stuff not related to motorcycles. I remember once there was a guy selling pots and pan and when I walked by he got all upset calling me names! I turned to him and explained that his stuff had nothing to do with motorcycles so I really had no need to pay any attention to him. Then he got irate. I walked away laughing! If my wife wants new pots or pans all she has to do is buy them.

Now if his stuff had been for backpacking or camping, I may have paid a little attention.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts