GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure why this winter feels so long, especially since I was able to get out riding three different days in December. Maybe because those rides were over two months ago I am feeling like motorcycling is just something from my past. But yesterday it was in the mid 40's, and today its predicted to hit 51 degrees this afternoon. So yesterday I uncovered the Goldwing, pulled the rags out of the pipes, unhooked the Battery Tender, and went through my personal least favorite chore of laying down on the ground to check and add air to the tires. The roads may still be salt covered, but hopefully I won't encounter any icy spots in the shade. I feel like a school kid on the last day of school! I just need to wait a few hours for the temps to at least get into the 40's and then it will be off for a ride.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I, too, had the Wing out for a short ride yesterday. Gotta take advantage of a 48-degree February day in sunny and beautiful North Dakota! It is amazing how 48 degrees in February feels so warm compared to the same temperature in July.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I’m in Michigan and went out for 180 miles yesterday in the mid 40’s
Today out again at 50 degrees. This is crazy!!
I’ve got about 400 miles in the new RDL seat and loving it!! Best investment I’ve made with the bike.
March should be getting better, 40’s and above I’m ready to ride. Enjoy guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Considered getting the Wing out today as I'm itching to ride. However I am having knee replacement surgery on Thursday and just don't think it is worth it. I probably won't get to ride for at least 4-8 weeks after surgery and just don't want to do a short ride and then leave it set for that long. :( It will just have to wait. .

·
Registered
394 Posts
I went out yesterday as well, first ride after knee replacement the end of December.
55 degrees in Denver, the ice on the driveway and in the gutters finally melted.

We've had a lot of snow this winter. Very unusual.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got out for a 65 mile ride and it felt great getting on the roads again. After 10 weeks of no riding I had almost forgotten what a great motorcycle the Goldwing is. My bike said it was 50 out and it wasn't until the end of the ride that my hands started to feel cold (despite heavy gloves and the grip heater set on Max). Colder weather is predicted by tomorrow, so I'm really glad I had the chance to ride today. During the whole ride I only saw two other motorcycles out riding, and that sort of surprised me. I thought everyone with a motorcycle would be out riding to take advantage of this sunny and relatively warm day.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just came back from a short (50 mile) ride up to Hampton Beach, backroads and some highway, Just wanted to knock some rust off. (me, not the trike) Lots of people and bikes out today. I think that's it for a while though.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I had to stop riding due to health issues since my Alaska trip in 2015. 6 weeks ago I bought an 08 but the weather was too cold and crappy to ride in the high desert of Central Oregon. I've been hitting a local parking lot when I can to get proficient at slow speed maneuvering but too cold and possible ice on the local roads for a real ride.
I got to ride 170 miles in the last two days with temps pushing 60! What a joy to be back on the bike. At the end of yesterday I was finally feeling comfortable with handling twisties on the big girl again. Good times and looking forward to the riding season. Praise the Lord!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Late this morning I finished up my annual winter maintenance - valve clearance check, all fluids changed, front forks serviced, new air filter and spark plugs. With temperatures in the low fifties I also made the drive to Hampton Beach and further on into Rye this afternoon. The NH seacoast is one of my favorite local rides. The parking lots at Hampton Beach were almost completely full. Wally's, the Hampton Beach HD watering hole and restaurant, appeared to have an overflow crowd. Along the way back, Memories, a favorite ice cream stand, had more people waiting in line than on a hot, humid summer evening. So far it's been one of the best winters for riding here in the Northeast. Tomorrow, Monday, temps are predicted to be even higher, close to 60. I may have to do a repeat - maybe even lunch at Wally's.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think my one ride will be all I will get, at least for awhile. Tonight is expected to go down to 28, and high temps for the next few days will only be in the low 30's.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Its been a wet summer here so far but good for the bush fires thought still enjoying the ride MARCH and APRIL is usually the better time here for riding in VIC AUSTRALIA (y)

·
Registered
20,750 Posts
Rode a little over 100 miles today, very nice February day in Wisconsin well above freezing, wore summer gloves, felt great to be riding !

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Well, yesterday I did get the chance to change the spark plugs on "Blacky" and take the blanket off of her and lower her off the jacks..(oil/filter has already been changed when I put her away in November). BUT that was it! Yep today is going to be beautiful 50+ * so I'm going to take my snow skies out and go SNOW skiing..... [I bet all you LOWlander's didn't expect that coming did you?? LOL

Ronnie

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yup, right there with you all. Temperatures are heading toward the low to mid fifties by late this week. Only issue is all the remaining sand on the roads. I will be on the road at least for a short ride soon. Very soon. (y)

·
Registered
181 Posts
We've been blessed with a relatively mild winter in Oklahoma this year, a few really nice days spread out through the past few months. I've been able to ride quite a bit I guess.
This weekend is supposed to be pretty nice, but if I don't get momma out on the lake for some fishing Saturday or Sunday I think she'll quit riding with me. Can't have that.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
OK I just replaced the spark plugs today, and went for a thirty miles ride just to see how she feels.................O'yea she's ready!!
Larry where are you let's go for a nice ride soon ok??
Ronnie

·
Registered
426 Posts
Don't you guys worry about salt dust that will get put in places it should not be
I always want to wait until a good rain to wash salt off road
Maybe you guys will change my mind on this ?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Did a quick 100 today, very nice out. Getting ready for Leap Year SS1K, was testing out my heated gear, new shoes on the bike a few days ago, really feeling the need for summer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts