GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I got again yesterday for another ride, approx. 250 miles. Rode west across the state of NH and into Vermont. I had lunch at the Country Girl Diner in Chester, VT. Rte 124 along Mount Monadnock was a bit rough with frost heaves. It sure was a good test of the front shocks. My black '06 was nice and clean when I left in the morning. When I got back home in mid afternoon the bike was covered with a very fine powder, most of it I'm sure is salt. I use to wait until after a heavy rain and I probably still should, but I'm not getting any younger. Each day that goes by not riding is a day and adventure forever lost.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not sure why this winter feels so long, especially since I was able to get out riding three different days in December. Maybe because those rides were over two months ago I am feeling like motorcycling is just something from my past. But yesterday it was in the mid 40's, and today its predicted to hit 51 degrees this afternoon. So yesterday I uncovered the Goldwing, pulled the rags out of the pipes, unhooked the Battery Tender, and went through my personal least favorite chore of laying down on the ground to check and add air to the tires. The roads may still be salt covered, but hopefully I won't encounter any icy spots in the shade. I feel like a school kid on the last day of school! I just need to wait a few hours for the temps to at least get into the 40's and then it will be off for a ride.
Good for you! When I lived in Illinois, I rode 100 miles every Saturday as long as it was 27 degrees or warmer and no ice or snow on the roads. I would select a location 50 miles away, ride there, have lunch and then return. Not once did I have company! Also, every January 1 in Streator, Illinois, I joined the "Hard Nipple Run". Mostly it was a poker run between bars about 8-10 miles apart. One year, at the end of the run, it was 10 degrees! I couldn't get the bike to go out of reverse. Finally, someone brought me a hair dryer. We plugged it in to an outlet on a city light pole and finally got out of reverse. My 10-mile ride home was incredibly COLD!! I am very happy to be in Arizona now. "Let's see--it's going to be 60 degrees on Sunday. Should we ride?"

21 - 22 of 22 Posts