GL1800Riders Forums banner

Still getting numb

2K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  JokerGuy 
#1 ·
My right thumb and first finger still go numb even with Kury grips & Reg risers & good gloves. I'm a relaxed rider and use cruise for immediate relief of the problem. Anyone got any ideas. :roll:

#5 ·
Carpal tunnel syndrome

#7 ·
ElBando said:
Carpal tunnel syndrome
True..
I have it, and arthritis...
So I am usually a mess after a short ride even ... 8)

#8 ·
I had both my hands operated on for carpal tunnel and I feel much better. See your doctor. It is worth it.

#9 ·
ElBando said:
I had both my hands operated on for carpal tunnel and I feel much better. See your doctor. It is worth it.
In the meanwhile, take an ibuprofin (Motrin, Advil) before you ride and carry a bottle with you. It will help with the inflamation.

#11 ·
tjshelton said:
ElBando said:
In the meanwhile, take an ibuprofin (Motrin, Advil) before you ride and carry a bottle with you. It will help with the inflamation.
Coors Light, Corona, Bud light, MGD, Rum and DrPepper, Orange Juice and Vodka, and so on ... It all works well .. 8)

#13 ·
I am thinking that it might be a problem with cervical vertabrae. If you have a Chiropractor you should see him.

#15 ·
numb thumb

I had the same thing from twenty five years of holding a welding torch.Could not ride ten miles until my hand went to sleep and I would hit the cruse and exercise my hand to get the blood flowing.My dentist,who is a biker told me to take 100mg B6.After two weeks of B6 everyday I have almost no problem and it has been about four years.Much better than getting cut on! :) :) :)

#17 ·
Lotboybike said:
My right thumb and first finger still go numb even with Kury grips & Reg risers & good gloves. I'm a relaxed rider and use cruise for immediate relief of the problem. Anyone got any ideas. :roll:
You really need to sqeeze some tennis balls. You are getting what we in the dirt bike world call "arm pump". This develops because you are riding too tense and are grabbing your handlebars too tight. It also helps to eat a bunch of bannanas and drink a bunch of gatorade before each ride.

#18 ·
Eat a bunch of bannanas?? Suppose you'll get Monkey butt then. :lol: :lol:

#19 ·
I had that problem and was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. I had my right hand operated on, it healed up quickly, and after about 7--10 days I was able to ride again. Still tende, but usable. That was about 3 months ago, and now I can ride without the pain and numbness. It takes about a year to completely recover (as opposed to simply healing up), and there is still a tender spot at the heel of my hand, but it's getting smaller and less painful as time goes by. Most of all those other things may provide some relief, but it's just temporary--been there done that.

#21 ·
There are many ideas being offered, but please use some common sense.

If you do have carpel tunnel syndrome it is a repetitive motion injury. Repetitive motions will exacerbate it. Such things as squeezing tennis balls and similar exercises are contraindicated and will make it worse, not better.

Arthritis is a totally different issue, but still is exacerbated with repetitive motions.

Best advice is to see your doctor to know where you stand, and then look for approaches and devices that are consistent with your state of health.

Chuck
MBD

#22 ·
I have been diagnosed with carpel tunnel syndrome....been to the doctor and have been tested and recommended for surgery on both hands. I never feel any pain, but my fingers and thumb would go numb or feels like pins and needles at times.

I don't use any drugs, but the one thing that really helps me is wearing a brace at night while I sleep similar to the one that a link was posted for above. I picked up my hand braces at Acme for around 12 dollars each a few years ago.

After a week of wearing the brace on both hands while I sleep, I feel like I don't have carpel tunnel syndrome and sleep very good through out the night with no numbness and I feel good the next morning and through out the day and can ride my motorcycle in total comfort. With out wearing the braces, some nights, I wake up three to four times a night with my thumb and fingers numb and there have been times when I ride I would have to shake mostly my throttle hand.

Give the hand braces a try for a few nights and see how you feel. I know that surgery is the only cure for carpel tunnel syndrome, but for now and until I have the surgery, the braces are working really well for me.

#23 ·
My recommendation is to ride with your fingers out over the brake lever. Hold the throttle with some pressure from your thumb but have the fingers laying over the brake lever. This should relieve the pressure in short order.

Another idea is to ride with a higher wrist. This means change the angle of your wrists. If they are too low you will see that they are making an angle between your elbow and your hand. If you are riding with a higher wrist there will be a straigh line between your elbow and your hands. Feels slightly strange at first but helped the blood flow a little better for me. Don't over do it because you will get too much throttle if your wrist is too high. Just enough to make a straight line and you should feel that relieve the pressure right away.

Hope this helps and good luck.

#24 ·
There is a Dr. that makes gloves for this problem. I don't remember the name but he was a vendor at Wing ding this year. His speciality was neurosurgery and the gloves had special pads to keep the nerves from becoming inflamed. If you can get a copy of Wing World with the vendors listed the name of the glove started with a Q I think. I went to one of his seminars and it was very informative. I am not at home right now or I would look through my back issues of Wing World.

#25 ·
I have carpal tunnel also and surgery was recomended but I opted not to have it done. Too many people including my Father have had to have several surgeries done. I have been taking vitamin B6 daily since diagnosed and my numbness has improved. I have been doing this for over 10 years now and when I run out of vitamins or forget to take them on a trip after a few days I can feel it getting worse. So I stop in at a store and pick some up. I also try to use as many electric or pneumatic tools as I can. Maybe this will help! It takes awhile to take effect so try it for a couple of months.

#26 ·
motorcyclemom40 said:
There is a Dr. that makes gloves for this problem. I don't remember the name but he was a vendor at Wing ding this year. His speciality was neurosurgery and the gloves had special pads to keep the nerves from becoming inflamed. If you can get a copy of Wing World with the vendors listed the name of the glove started with a Q I think. I went to one of his seminars and it was very informative. I am not at home right now or I would look through my back issues of Wing World.
Here's the link; http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/

I bought a pair...seems to work for me no more numbness...after the ride to the Wing Ding and suffering from numbness I spoke to the Doctor (inventor of the gloves) and he explained what his products does...surprisingly he described what I was feeling without my telling him...so I bought a pair...like I said it works for me...I also have the throttle boss installed no numbness...hope it helps, ride safe. 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.