GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the All Balls bearings installed at the dealers on my '01. I'm still having the 35 mph wobbles. It is quite a bit less but still there. Is this normal? I also had the fork seals replaced since I have 85k on the bike.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Just had the All Balls bearings installed at the dealers on my '01. I'm still having the 35 mph wobbles. It is quite a bit less but still there. Is this normal? I also had the fork seals replaced since I have 85k on the bike.
Thats because All Balls doesn't cure the wobble, it only masks the symptom.
Take it back to the dealer and ask them to tighten the preload a little. Then test drive it and make sure that the bike doesn't seem to wander. If it does, then the bearings are too tight.

·
IronMan
17,453 Posts
BAD TIRE WILL DO THAT ALSO. HAD THAT ONCE IN 81,000 MILES - FRONT TIRE WAS 3/4 GONE. NO PROBLEM SINCE :bow::bow: SOME HAVE SAID REAR TIRE WILL DO ??? GOOD LUCK. PS = DONT DO 35 ;);):lol:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys, yeah I try to avoid 35 when I can, but our small town have a lot of 35 streets and lots of officers that like to enforce

As far as tires both re E3's with about 500 miles or less. And I had all new brake pads installed too. The bike was hardly ridden the past few years. Hoping to change that this season so trying to get everything ready.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
BAD TIRE WILL DO THAT ALSO. HAD THAT ONCE IN 81,000 MILES - FRONT TIRE WAS 3/4 GONE. NO PROBLEM SINCE :bow::bow: SOME HAVE SAID REAR TIRE WILL DO ??? GOOD LUCK. PS = DONT DO 35 ;);):lol:
I know for sure the rear tire will cause the wobble. On my 06 both tire were worn and needing changing and I had gotten the wobble. So I wanted to see if it was the rear tire causing the problem. Put a new rear tire on then rode the with the old front still on wobble gone. So yes the rear tire will cause it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sometimes the wobble doesn't go away for good until you change the tires out. The old ones can develop a tendency to wobble because they've been wobbling.
That said, your tires are new, so they probably haven't taken the "wobble set" yet. I have seen a couple of instances where a new E3 wobbled immediately on a non-wobbler. (Traxxion suspension, and NEVER wobbled before). A different new tire solved the problem. You might see if you can find a different front wheel to swap for a quick test to eliminate the tire from the equation.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
wobble

Have you considered that it wasn't the neck bearing that caused the wobble. When I bought my first wing back in 2009, the first order of bits and pieces included an all balls neck bearing. It's still in the package. Never used. I have eliminated the wobble in 3 wings now. I suspect that you will have better luck fixing yours by installing a set of linear springs appropriate for your riding weight. The wing was designed to have some sport bike characteristics. As it comes from the factory it is set up to turn in easily (relative to cruiser type bikes that tend to be designed to go straight). This is done by adjusting the rake and trail in the design process. Anyway, as your front end is lowered (small amounts do make big differences), either by your springs sagging from extended use or even the difference of 1/4" of rubber wearing off of your front tire, the wobble will/can come and go. In most cases it's called a "decel" wobble. That's because it's noticed most often while decelerating. Why not when accelerating? When accelerating, you transfer weight to the rear and raise the front of the bike, making it more stable and less likely to wobble. Conversely, when you decelerate, you've lowered the front of the bike and made it less stable. You are also less likely to notice a wobble when going up hill and more likely to notice it when going down, for the same reasons. I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject and believe what I've described here, answers most of the cause/effect situations that get discussed. However, keep in mind that I'm talking about the base cause for the decel wobble. Other factors can be contributors to the problem and need to be corrected also. I just don't believe that a properly working stock neck bearing is one of them.

Richard

·
Registered
401 Posts
all-balls 45ft/lbs, dyna beads, new tires

Honda made choices - to get the light agile feel, the rake is short and hence unstable. We can mask it (as quoted) effectively enough using the tapered neck bearings, fork brace, new bushings (for bikes with 20K+ miles), and new tires. There are also more exotic additional fixes like new triple-trees, but the bang for the buck is low.

I have the all-balls tapered bearings with 45ft/lbs of torque. Yes that is a lot. And I do the work myself. But the front re-centers and has no binding. But I also recommend bushings, seals, new tires, and Dyna-Beads. My wing is very stable at all speeds.

Also note that tire pressure is a huge factor in handling.
...gene

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would try a fork brace.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I had the wobble on decel between 40 and 35. Nothing bad as long as you didn't take your hands off the bars. After I Put the car tire on the back I tested it again and it was still there. A week later I put on a new stone in on the front and the wobble was completely gone! Rock steady now. Don't know how long it will last but I am confident its a front tire issue.. At least on my bike it is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dandy Dave, I'm not a fan of the E-3's at all. I put a new set on when they first came to market for a ride to Maine and sheesh! Couldn't wait to replace them. This time around the rear was given to me as a gift so I purchased the front to match. I think the best I've ridden on are the Stones G851/850 combo. I haven't tried them all but for me they worked great even though my dealer was reluctant to install "the wrong tire for my bike". Maybe those will do better for my next set.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
81k, time for a suspension upgrade. Had Trax Full Monty done 40k ago on my '06 and bike had not wobbled since. Expensive but well worth the money.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
When I got my new to me '06 it would wobble at ANY speed with 40-30 being a scary tank slapper. Fixed with All Balls, Traxx lower tree and prog monotubes. I love it. If you can afford it, treat yourself. You won't be sorry. If not, try monotubes or prog springs or just push the forks down in the tree about 5 mm to increase rake, but I bet if you got the sag out of the front end with at least progressive springs ($100) you would not need to do anything else.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I got my new to me '06 it would wobble at ANY speed with 40-30 being a scary tank slapper. Fixed with All Balls, Traxx lower tree and prog monotubes. I love it. If you can afford it, treat yourself. You won't be sorry. If not, try monotubes or prog springs or just push the forks down in the tree about 5 mm to increase rake, but I bet if you got the sag out of the front end with at least progressive springs ($100) you would not need to do anything else.
Thanks Waldo and thanks to your daughter also. I thought about new springs before having all this done but the service tech thought it unnecessary. A future visit to the shop after season maybe. I would love to beef up the rear also as my wife and I both have found extra baggage over last few years.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Are you meaning 5 mm below being flush with the top of the tree?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Thanks Guys, yeah I try to avoid 35 when I can, but our small town have a lot of 35 streets and lots of officers that like to enforce

As far as tires both re E3's with about 500 miles or less. And I had all new brake pads installed too. The bike was hardly ridden the past few years. Hoping to change that this season so trying to get everything ready.
Was it doing it before you had the tires mounted?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes it was doing it since '01 when i first got her... well about 3 months in. Returned to dealers at the time and and suggested new front tire. It's always been less with new rubber but soon comes back. last year she was getting pretty bad the little I got to ride. BUT, i rode her in this morning and she was smooth. I have a stretch of 35 for last 4 miles before work. I tried my best to make her to wobble and only once and it was so minute. ??? I'm happy. thanks for all the suggestions guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
wobble

yes it was doing it since '01 when i first got her... well about 3 months in. Returned to dealers at the time and and suggested new front tire. It's always been less with new rubber but soon comes back. last year she was getting pretty bad the little I got to ride. BUT, i rode her in this morning and she was smooth. I have a stretch of 35 for last 4 miles before work. I tried my best to make her to wobble and only once and it was so minute. ??? I'm happy. thanks for all the suggestions guys.
I'm not a fan of the E-3's at all , just my two cents worth ,My 02 with 120 thousand on it is all stock from factory no wobble with stone ,with E-3's , Metzeler ,Avon , I had wobble,

·
Registered
4 Posts
All Balls bearings fixed my 2012 wobbler.

My 2012 GL1800 wobbled soon after I bought it new. It was so bad that if I let go of the handle bars I would have crashed in about 3 seconds unless I grabbed them back. Warranty would not cover the repair, so I had a local shop replace the bearings with All Balls tapered bearings and a Bridgestone new front tire. That fixed it! The mechanic said the last one he did now has over 60K miles and no wobble. I have about 4K on mine. My riding buddy, has an 02 that he bought new and it has never wobbled. Go figure!

:doorag:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts